The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Manager (maybe) strange behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by casey, Mar 5, 2003.

1. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I saw a post a couple of months ago about someone who could not get their filemanager trash bin to empty. Now I am having that problem.

But that is actually the least of my problems, as I had uploaded a folder named "faq" and when I opened it up in the file manager, what did I see? The contents of /usr/local/cpanel/base

And when I tried to access the folder via the web, I got an error saying that I was not allowed to access "faq" on this server. How in the world did those files get transfered into my www folder, and what happened to the real files that were supposed to be inside the "faq" folder?

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, the reason I was seeing the strange folders is that I had set the permissions wrong and locked myself out.:p

I still would like to know how to delete these folders out of the trash bin, though. I assume that happened because I did the wrong permissions, too, huh?

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think v6.0 always shows a full Trash can now. I've run into the same thing and thought it wasn't deleting, yet checking in Shell show an empty directory for .trash.

4. POwen

POwen Member

I had the same problem after installing 'Interchange Shopping Cart' just for a peek ;). After my peek I was unable to delete all the folders and in the end had to ask the Support team to delete the trash for me.

5. myweb

myweb Well-Known Member

One of my users had the exact problem. Why do the files and folders of /usr/local/cpanel/base suddenly appear under my user's cgi-bin/xxx/ ?

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I have no idea why it happened, but if you go in and change the permissions of all the files in the trash to 777 via ssh you can then go into the file manager and delete them from the trash can.

7. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

I have had the same problems with these files from Interchange.. What I did was went in to WHM and reset shopping cart. This will remove the files for you... But if and only if you have not tried to delete the files through Cpanel filemanager. If you have tried to delete the files in filemanger and they were sent to the trash, and trash will not empty, then you will get this problem.
    In an earlier post I saw that someone had used ssh to change permissions on these files and then deleted them from the trash. Well if we are talking about the same files/folders, " catalogs ," I am not able to change permissions on these files using ssh. I keep getting permission denied. Any suggestions on this??? thanks

8. casey

casey Well-Known Member

When I tried changing permissions from within the trash can in the file manager I got permission denied, but when I went in through ssh and typed chmod 777 FILE it worked. I tried deleting the files then via ssh and got no errors, but they did not delete. Then I went back in through the file manager, and they deleted just fine...

9. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

I tried to change permissions on the files within the trash can via ssh but still got an error. How did you change file permissions on the files when you are not the owner? I noticed that the owner and the group are set to cpanel.. The permissions are set like this drwxrws-- and also cannot be changed.. Someone please put me in the right direction to remove these files and directories..

Thanks for any help...

10. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Yikes, I never got that error. Perhaps you could try to
    chown nobody FILE
    and see what happens...
    You do have root access, don't you?

11. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

Nope... No root access..

12. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Aha, you're going to have to ask your webhost to delete those files for you then.

13. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

Yeah I figured as much... I will just leave them there cause I am sure not going to ask my host to do that.. They would charge me out the butt for something like that.. Thanks any way..

14. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, maybe I'm too nice to my customers, but I'd consider that a problem with the software I provided, so I would do it for free...

15. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would have to agree with casey, although, I would classify it as Good Customer Service. :D

Can't see charging for something that takes 5 minutes or less???

Have to ask though, did anyone with this problem try deleting the Trash files using their FTP program?

Although I'm not sure about the original problem of a Trash file showing: /usr/local/cpanel/base, deleteing files in Trash should be easy.

If you go into Account Root, one level up from Document Root, you will see the Trash directory and can access those files from there. Should be able to change file permissions, if needed, as you own those files anyway.

16. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Just for (my) future reference:

chmod 0777 /home/USERNAME/.trash/*
    rm -rf /home/USERNAME/.trash/*

That clears out the trash can in the filemanager.

17. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    chown USER.USER /home/USER/.trash
    chmod o+rw /home/USER/.trash

Then empty trash from CPanel

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: