Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

File manager mistake

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Edward Byrne, Mar 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Edward Byrne

Edward Byrne Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi all - I got a mailbox size warning message from Cpanel. I looked up how to fix it and tried to tackle it in File manager. Unfortunately I was following the wrong instructions. What I was doing was removing the emails from my inbox for that mail account. I now have an empty inbox.

I tested it and will accept new emails.

Fortunately I did not permanently delete anything in Cpanel. However I am struggling to restore my existing emails.

I have restored cur and new to the username folder but my emails have not reappeared in Outlook.

Any help gratefully accepted.

PS: I would also love to know how to empty my mailbox inside Cpanel for this email address which is close to exceeding quota

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If you have removed it through Filemanager, then you can check the .trash folder of your cPanel account.. The location will be:
    /home/<user>/.trash Check if you have files there..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Edward Byrne

Edward Byrne Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for your help.

I did manage in my incompetence to send my cur folder to the trash and so 'lost' a whole bunch of emails from my inbox (Outlook). But then I was somewhat surprised when a new cur folder was created automatically and started filling itself with incoming emails. So I thought... easy, I'll just copy the contents of the folder in the trash across to the new cur folder and get my old emails back in Outlook that way.

I tried that by selecting all the files and copying them to the new cur folder. No luck, they were not moved. I also tried moving them without success. I tried renaming the folder in trash. Again no luck.

The cur folder in trash also has an extra folder called mail which is type httpd/unix-directory. The new cur folder does not have this folder.

I would really appreciate some help on getting the contents of the cur folder in trash across to the new cur folder and my emails restored to Outlook. Many Thanks

4. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First of all I would like you to copy the cur folder from a trash to some other location outside cur, because if your host has configured to remove .trash folder in some interval, you may lose what you have.. First things first..

Now, just go deep into the cur folder from the trash and check where the files are and just move those files to the current cur directory inside the mail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you have FTP or SSH access? If so, try manually copying or moving the old email data back into place using that method as opposed to File Manager. Otherwise, File Manager will attempt to restore the entire directory, which isn't what you want since the directory structure was already recreated and includes new emails.

Note that should you want to remove emails in the future, we offer the following option to make this easier:

Email Disk Usage - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.