The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Manager not doing a proper Move operation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keithl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. keithl

keithl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Bit of a strange one that a client of ours found. When using the File Manager within cPanel, if you move a folder within an account it seems that rather than doing an actual move operation, it copies the data folder by folder, and then once successful deletes the original. What this means is that if you're near to your disk quota, it's quite possible to go over that limit simply by moving some files.

To test this I used an existing test account that has a 200MB quota limit, and already had 60MB of various file, emails etc. I uploaded 115MB of files to the server made up of 9 files at around 12MB each. 6 of them went into a folder called ~/foo while the other 3 went into ~/foo/bar. At this point I was using 175MB out of 200MB. I then created ~/foo2, and select all the files plus the folder bar within ~/foo and clicked 'Move file', then I set the destination to ~/foo2. Rather than simply moving the files as you might expect, I initially got several prompts telling me I'd exceeded my quota. When I checked the folders I found that all the files in ~/foo had indeed been moved into ~/foo2, however, ~/foo/bar still contained all three files as before, and ~/foo2/bar contained those files but they weren't complete, eg the byte count was smaller than it should have been so they obviously hadn't finished copying. At this point my quota had indeed been reached, so I was now using an additional 25MB of space even though I'd done a move rather than a copy!

Does anyone know of an explanation for this, or is it a bug?

Keith

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It makes sense that the file would be stored in a temporary location before the move command finishes. However, there should likely be a limit in place to prevent moving files if the disk space usage is going to reach it's limit. Please open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at this:

Submit A Ticket

After opening the ticket, post the ticket number here so we can track the issue and report the answer to this thread.

Thank you.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    File copy (followed by delete) occurs as a fallback mechanism when normal link/unlink operations fail.