The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Manager Unzip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craigbrass, Jun 21, 2007.

1. craigbrass

craigbrass Active Member

Hello,

I have posted this on the bugs / feature requests area (http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5588) but thought I would get some support for it here.

Basically, when you unzip a zip file and it contains files that already on the server, it just skips them (replace index.php? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: NULL
    (assuming [N]one)).

It should not do this, it should ask you what you want to do (Yes, Yes to All,
    No, No to All).

The reason I would fine this feature handy is when upgrading software such as Invision Power Board (I have like 10 sites that use it), I have to find the password, upload, enable SSH access for the account, unzip via there.

If it asked these, I could simply login using the root password to the account, upload via file manager, unzip via file manager and that would be that.

Hope I can get your support on this guys.

Bestg Regards,
    Craig Brass

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    To each his own I guess, but IMO you really should unpack the file into its own directory first then cut the old files and move to another directory, then cut and move the new files in and do your upgrades. This way you have a backup of the files on the server to go back to just in case.

That's not to say the option shouldn't be added to make your own choice when unpacking. Choice is good. ;)

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's how the extract feature in cPanel worked in 10 also.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

The old one did not create though, only extract. The new one is far nicer. Thanks for that. :)

5. craigbrass

craigbrass Active Member

I know thats how it always has worked......I am suggesting a change in the way it works. It would be nice to give the user an OPTION of what they want to do rather than just making the assumtion they just want to overwrite.