The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File or variable location stored: ACL_SPAM_HEADER ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Drake, May 8, 2010.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2001
    New Jersey
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Relative to Exim.conf Advanced Mode Editor: Can anyone direct me to the location of where the variable ACL_SPAM_HEADER is located in WHM's backend structure ?

The variable %ACL_SPAM_HEADER% is referred to in Exim Config Editor Advanced mode, and does properly convert to its proper text when exim.conf is rebuilt.

Here's the issue. The default Spamassassin rewrite header prepend is ***SPAM*** and I want to change it to ***SPAM ALERT***

My desire to do this is because we have many customers who have constructed "message rules" in their Outlook/Outlook Express to move e-mails with my ***SPAM ALERT*** subject prepend, into altrnate folders.

Am running a few servers all with the same newest version of WHM/CPanel. 11.25.0 X39 C45139 Tree=current.

The servers that had an older version, had (and still have) a field in Exim Config Editor to choose the spamassassin subject prepend wording (even after upgrade to newest Ver.)

The newest ones, do not have this option available through WHM Exim Configuration editor.

I realize I can change my spam subject line prepend text in exim.conf, but it will be overwritten.

I can also hard code it into WHM Exim.conf editor advanced mode by replacing the %ACL_SPAM_HEADER% variable with my exact text. I believe that will be saved to exim.conf, but it might be overwritten within the exim configuration editor upon next upgrade.

However I would rather find the corect location to edit it, since Exim config Editor (simple mode) no longer shows that option.

Misc. Comment: Oddly, the servers that were upgraded from a 1+ year old version to the newest version, did not lose that option in exim configuration editor. Neither did they lose the custom ***SPAM ALERT*** subject prepend line.

It's just the most recent ones that were originally installed with a newer version, a few months old and didn't have it from the beginning.

This issue isn't the end of the world, but it's been nagging me.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is actually a bug that is fixed in 11.25.1 ( not yet published ). The Text to add to the subject line of messages marked as spam depends upon the Global Subject Rewrite being enabled. In turn Global Subject Rewrite depends upon /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter being defined as the System Filter File.

Here is where it gets interesting. If the System Filter File field was ever altered, then the necessary SpamAssassin options will not appear in the interface. Here's how I fixed it on an 11.25.0 server:

1. Login with root access via SSH
    2. Edit the file /etc/exim.conf.localopts
    3. Find the line with the entry systemfilter=
    4. Insure the value after the = in the systemfilter line is /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter
    5. In the same file, find the line with the entry spam_header
    6. Change the value after the = to ***SPAM ALERT***
    7. Save the file
    8. Exit your editor
    9. Execute /scripts/buildeximconf

Please be aware that fixing manually as I prescribe above will be undone if you use the Exim Configuration Editor. This is a long standing bug that we fixed in cPanel 11.25.1 ( in beta at the moment ).
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

Please Note: Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

As of July 28, 2010 the cPanel/WHM version number designations have been officially changed.

Version 11.25.1 is now designated 11.28 and version 11.25.2 is now designated 11.30.

These new changes were explained in some detail recently at the July 2010 - Quarterly Road map - Webinar direct from cPanel's PodCast Studio in Houston, Texas with speakers David Grega and Mario Rodriguez.

An official press release about these changes is forthcoming and can be accessed at this link as soon as it's made available to the Forum Team:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change (To be updated)

This post serves to update users who are subscribed to threads (where this message is posted) looking forward to upcoming enhancements in future versions of cPanel.