Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

File permissions problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nicola Urbinati, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nicola Urbinati

Nicola Urbinati Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have problems (Cpanel 74.0.10) with file permissions, both accessing them through the proper URL (www.example.com), and accessing them from Cpanel's file manager (401 file permission problem).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The normal cPanel permissions given to files and folders in the ~/public_html folder are:

Folders 755
    Files 644

I should try setting the files to those permissions, and seeing if that works for you.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to ask your server provider for assistance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nicola Urbinati

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am my own server provider.

From cpanel's file manager, trying to edit a ".htaccess" file in ~/public_html folder (644 permissions), I receive a
    "
    Errore HTTP 401
    Token di sicurezza non valido
    L’URL richiesto non contiene il corretto token di sicurezza della sessione.

Questo errore può essersi verificato dopo che l’utente ha copiato e incollato un URL da una sessione cPanel, WHM o Webmail diversa nella barra dell’indirizzo del browser. Per risolvere il problema, adottare una delle seguenti misure:

• Go back one page e ricaricare l’URL, assicurandosi che la sezione /cpsess…/ dell’URL rimanga inalterata.
    • Reinserire la password dell’account di seguito. In questo modo verrà assegnato un nuovo token di sicurezza alla sessione. Questo nuovo token impedirà all’utente di utilizzare altre pagine di questa applicazione che potrebbero essere aperte in altre schede.
    "

Error (sorry for the italian)

If I try to navigate some pages (I have a Joomla site), I get:

"
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /xxx/yyy on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Nicola Urbinati,

It's possible this relates to a file ownership issue. Can you let us know the output to /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log when reproducing the error message that appears when navigating to the website from your browser?

Thank you.

5. Nicola Urbinati

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

It's turned out it was some misconfiguration of mod_pagespeed, as I removed it and everything got working smoothly.

Don't know what configuration exactly went wrong, I'll test it again probably in the future.

Thank you all for the assistance.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Nicola Urbinati,

Feel free to reach out to us if you need any help when you decide to test it again in the future.

Thank you.