The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

file sharing across different cpanels

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by saiff, Jan 24, 2007.

1. saiff

saiff Registered

Scenario: Dedicated server with 3 clients setup: client1,client2, client3 each with their own cpanel, their own domain www.client1.com, www.client2.com ,etc and each one has their own SSL certificate.

Can the file system be setup so that each of the 3 clients can share some common files and use the same database. I dont want to have 3 instances of the same database, I just want one instance that all 3 can access. also want to be able to use some common files for all 3 clients.

Is this possible or do all 3 clients have to be setup as subdomains off a main domain?

Thanks in advance,

Saif

2. t9clkclnr

t9clkclnr Well-Known Member

It can be done

Regarding the DB:

all they would need is a DB name and id/password. You could even install phpmyadmin configured with this info.

Regarding the files:

depends how you wish to use them i think. you could turn off the mod_userdir in Tweak Security in WHM to allow them to access files outside their directory.

Example: in php, you could do include("/home/userdir/public_html/file.ext");

Obviously there would be security implications with my comments above, so be aware of what you are doing. These should be considered hacks also, not the most conventional of ways to accomplish your goals.

There are other ways to accomplish your goals. Like just doing an add-on domain to a single cpanel account, etc.

3. saiff

saiff Registered

file share

We dont want to do add-on domains for the other clients because only the primary domain can have an ssl cert (which is the problem we have right now) so we can only use a wildcard ssl cert but have to reference addon1.primary.com.

Is there a more traditional way (non-hack) or sanctioned way of file sharing?
    I understand the db part now (thanks t9)

4. t9clkclnr

t9clkclnr Well-Known Member

Symbolic link to a folder?

I'm guessing maybe a symbolic link to a folder shared by each would accomplish this, and closely maintain your security.

do a "man ln" from a ssh command line, to find out more.

This would allow you to have a folder in each users directory, that is really pointing back to a respository.
    I believe read/write could be controlled with this process.