File Usage in cPanel's Main Control Panel Query

Mrinmoy

Feb 2, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
In cPanel Main Control Panel. On the right hand shows the File Usage. Everyday I see one file increase in it. I haven't changed anything in my site. I just make a copy of my database (as the site is a forum) on a daily basis which I download directly to my computer. I keep wondering why it keep showing me one file increase everyday then? I hope that I am explaining it alright.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @Mrinmoy,

File Usage refers to disk inodes, or the number of files uploaded to your account. If the number increases, it means more files were created. You can use cPanel >> File Manager or a FTP client to look at all of the files under the /home/username/ directory. A new email is one of the more common reasons to see an inode increase if you are not uploading new website files.

Thank you.

Reactions: Mrinmoy

Mrinmoy

Feb 2, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello @Mrinmoy,

File Usage refers to disk inodes, or the number of files uploaded to your account. If the number increases, it means more files were created. You can use cPanel >> File Manager or a FTP client to look at all of the files under the /home/username/ directory. A new email is one of the more common reasons to see an inode increase if you are not uploading new website files.

Thank you.
Okay so, as the site is a forum. People do register through emails. That might be the reason, right? Anyway thanks for the info.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Okay so, as the site is a forum. People do register through emails. That might be the reason, right? Anyway thanks for the info.
You can open cPanel >> Terminal if it's enabled as a feature for your cPanel account. Once it's opened, run the following command to see the inode count for each subdirectory under /home/username/:

Code:
echo "Inode usage for: $(pwd)" ; for d in `find -maxdepth 1 -type d |cut -d\/ -f2 |grep -xv . |sort`; do c=$(find $d |wc -l) ; printf "$c\t\t- $d\n" ; done ; printf "Total: \t\t$(find $(pwd) | wc -l)\n"
Thank you.

Reactions: Mrinmoy