The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Files disappearing from file manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thinklol, Aug 12, 2011.

1. thinklol

thinklol Member

My website is coloursplash.org, it's a reseller and I host sub-domains with it. Each sub-domain come with their owncPanel. Lately some clients have been getting issues with file manager, once they upload a file it disappears after a couple hours. I don't know if this is some kind of bug but has anyone else had this issue before?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only way to see what might be happening would be to contact your hosting provider to check the server logs in /var/log/messages (to see if anyone is FTP removing the files) or /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_logs location to see if anyone is logging into the account to make changes during those times.

Of note, files cannot simply disappear on the system, since they need to either a) be moved by someone, b) be removed by someone, or c) be moved to lost+found by the system. If they weren't moved or removed, then option c would indicate file system corruption and would be a definite issue that the hosting provider would need to address.

3. thinklol

thinklol Member

The thing is though, they disappear for a while and then come back hours later.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You'll need to speak to your hosting provider about what is happening for them to check the logs. I have never heard of anything of this nature happening.

5. thinklol

thinklol Member

I have and they can't seem to find the issue either. I was thinking since the older server i transferred from hasn't been terminated it might be causing issues. I've asked for to be deleted. Hopefully that will stop this.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It might be that the DNS is only updated to the new server on one of the nameservers, which would cause the users to reach the old server half the time. If you provide the domain name and which server it should be pointing to for the A record IP, we could see if both nameservers return the same information.

If it is on two servers and some people are still reaching the old server, then sometimes they are going to end up uploading content to the old location and sometimes to the new location. That will not be fun later on to resolve, since only half of their content is getting updated to the new machine.

7. thinklol

thinklol Member

The issue stopped, the other server has been deleted so everything is working fine now. I guess the other server was the issue after all.