Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

files losing ownership permission + partitioning issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by farid_sdt, Oct 26, 2017.

1. farid_sdt

farid_sdt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hello,
    we have a cpanel server, today we updated the system and we had 502 nginx eror. we have checked everything and finally understood we have 2 problems:
    1- file and folder used by cpanel or OS ownerships and permissions get changed!! do any of you guys have a good solution for that?
    2- partitions are being mounted as nodev,noexec while there's no Attribute set in fstab. what do you think we should do?
    these two issues together, cause a problem which makes our server unable to change necessary files! and server becomes unstable. for example; last time it took 12 hours for cpanel to get updated and we found issues with /tmp access... we also use cloudlinux

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can disable the following option under the "Security" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" to prevent the automatic ownership/permission updates to the home directories:

Enable File Protect

However, note that you may want to report this to the developer of the Nginx plugin you are using, or verify if the issue persists when using Apache, as Nginx is unsupported with cPanel.

Thank you.

3. farid_sdt

farid_sdt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    the point is the feature was disable when it happen and beside nginx 502 error we face same issue when cpanel try to automatically update it's self to lastest version

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look if disabling "Enable File Protect" does not help.

Thank you.

5. farid_sdt

farid_sdt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks for letting me know.
    but the point is that our server is for organization and the manager doesn't let me give access to anyone ( even if it's cpanel which is so so trusted! ).
    aren't you able to help me from here?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you clarify if Enable File Protect is enabled under the "Security" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" on this system? You mentioned the feature was disabled in an earlier post, but I'm not sure if you were referring to "Enable File Protect" or Nginx.

Thank you.

7. farid_sdt

farid_sdt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for answering.
    I disabled enable file protection from tweak settings but didn’t solve the problem...

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If ownership and permissions of files and directories is still automatically occurring after removing this option, then you may want to check if you have any cron jobs installed on the server that could be altering the files. We'd really need access to the server via a support ticket to track down what's causing the change.

Thank you.