The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

files not showing up in file manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by janburg, Jan 13, 2011.

1. janburg

janburg Registered

This is weird. When I go to file manager I see the list of folders on the left hand side of the screen, but not all the files on the right hand side. This is both on Mac and on Windows systems. I can see them for another site I work on, but on the one I need to work on now. And the main problem is Cpanel is the only program I have that will allow me to copy/move files between folders, I don't see those features in Filezilla or Fetch. So I need to see the individual files. Are there any settings I don't know about that I'm missing? The curious thing is, I saw the files the other day on the Windows system but not the mac. Today, neither system shows the files. But the site is still there, still active, I can see the files in Fetch and Filezilla. So it's a cpanel thing.

Any ideas?

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When viewing the files via FTP, what are their ownership? If they have nobody ownership, this would explain why you cannot see them via the File Manager.

The problem here is that to fix nobody-owned files, you need root access.

3. janburg

janburg Registered

Ok then, how do I get root access and ownership? And why was I able to see the files the other day but not today? I'm using the same ID/password to get in, there's only one person to access this file - me.

4. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Can you confirm the file ownership and permissions on the affected files via FTP first? That way we're certain that is actually the issue at hand.

5. janburg

janburg Registered

i do have read/write permissions

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Do you have "root" (i.e., Administrator) access to the server? For example, can you successfully login to SSH or the server console with a username of "root"?

If you are not the server administrator, I recommend escalating the issue to the upstream provider so that they can assist with inspecting the access permissions and ownership of the files that are not being displayed.

#6 cPanelDon, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011