The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Files outside of WWW not showing as used user space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yamaharr1, Mar 3, 2009.

1. yamaharr1

yamaharr1 Well-Known Member

I have recently found an account that has been storing files outside of there public_html and they exceed there storage capabilities they also do not show up on the Disk used in WHM Main >> Account Information >> List Accounts

So I did a test with one of my accounts and I moved a 2GB file outside of my public_html and watched the Disk used for 2 days to see if it would show and sure enough it didn't show I was using any more disk space, after this I went one step further and duplicated the 2GB file and seen the over all disk space was being taken up but it did not show up on my account. The last step I did was move one of the 2GB files into my public_html and it showed up as using the space.

My question is how can we prevent this from happening, or what other measures can we take so the users are accountable for the space they are using?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Works ok here. What version of cPanel are you on?

You might try running this from shell:

/scripts/fixquotas

3. yamaharr1

What works for you?

The quotas are working, like I mentioned in the post if I move the files into the public_html the quota raises but if moved outside of the public then nothing is seen.

I would have to guess that the quotas are working fine in that regards.

I am running:
    cPanel 11.24.4-C34331
    WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.2 i686 on standard

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not able to duplicate this behavior. Please open a support ticket so the problem can be identified and resolved.

5. yamaharr1

OK I finished about an hour ago and was just going to post an update to this when you posted cpanelkenneth.

I found what has happen.

If the files are given the user name root then they do not show up in the stats so it appears things are normal.

The client that had this on there space was because of a server move and something I did a long time ago and I just forgot about it.

When I did it in my account I took 20GB of backups and moved them as root so they were in my account as root not the account owner once I noticed this and changed the owner to the account name and ran the command as Infopro suggested the files showed up in the Main >> Account Information >> List Accounts.

If you think this is not normal let me know and I will open a support ticket so cpanel can get access and check it out themselves but I would think this is completely normal. (No doubt I could be wrong)

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What you describe is normal behavior for the OS-level quota system. The allocation and usage is based upon file and directory ownership. Incorrect ownership will causes issues like you noticed.