The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Files Ownership Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by superdmon, May 9, 2016.

1. superdmon

superdmon Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, not sure if this is exactly where I should be posting this, but I have an issue with file and directory ownership. I'm currently running Joomla on a dedicated unmanaged VPS and everything was going well, but something must have changed. My files and folders are now owned by user 500 belonging to group 501 (when I create files on the server via FTP, this is also the same user and group they get created as), however, apache/php is running I believe as user 99 "nobody". So my Joomla install can't seem to delete any cache files or install anything... the folders all appear to be unwriteable, even though they are 775... obviously it's a "different owner" issue.

Any ideas on how to correct? I'm running cpanel and whm on the unmanaged server.
    Sorry if this is a novice question, I'm just somewhat confused as to how this may have suddenly happened.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you authenticating as the account username when connecting via FTP to upload files to the account? The files/directories should have ownership that matches the username of the account. Also, what PHP handler (E.g. DSO, suPHP) are you using?

Thank you.

3. superdmon

superdmon Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When connecting via FTP I'm using a FTP account that I set up within cPanel, it's not the root account. Whenever I add a file via FTP with the user I'm logging in as, the user/group is 500/501, however, there are files on the server which I believe Joomla is creating (cache files) which are coming out 99/99

In WHM it appears my PHP Handler is fcgi, although I can change it to suPHP

4. superdmon

superdmon Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, now that I look at my user / group for FTP and see the "name" of that group, it does look like the account username

5. superdmon

superdmon Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And now I noticed everything seems to be working. Strange. I did put in a request for help from my hosting provider, but I'm not sure if it was something they did, or the fact that I turned on suEXEC today ?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you turn on suEXEC or suPHP? This document explains how permissions and ownership values relate to the PHP handler:

Apache PHP Request Handling - EasyApache - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.