The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filesystem crashes, advise please...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostbox.be, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Hostbox.be

Hostbox.be Well-Known Member

Hi there

I have a ServeLinux L4 webserver with two Maxtor IDE harddisks of 120GB in RAID 1.
    As OS I am running CentOS 3.4

Now from time to time, there are problems with the filesystem, such as bad inodes, bad superblocks, etc... Last time I received this in the LogWatch:
    EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1))...: 1Time(s)

So, when I restart the server, he checks the local filesystem, and then he says there are troubles with the /boot partition or the /home partition, etc... and then he drops me to a shell.

Sometimes I can solve it with a "fsck", but other times not... and then only a fresh install can solve the problem :-(

This is now the third time in 6 months ! What could cause this ? The OS (CentOS) or the IDE harddrives or the RAID controller ? Is it software or hardware related ?

I think to buy a new server with SCSI harddisks and an U320 raid controller, but will this help me ?

Someone out there who can give me some advise on this ?

Thank you !

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that it's more than likely the hard drive(s) on its way out and should probably be replaced ASAP. If it is SMART enabled, and it most likely is, then you could install the latest release of smartmontools (on sourceforge) and runs some SMART tests against it/them.