The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filter and reply with a chosen message

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by oldgit, May 24, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Registered

Hi,
    I'm hoping to set up an auto-responder which will filter incoming emails based on the Subject line and specific words/phrases in the body. The reply will consist of a chosen message and with attachments.

For example, an email will arrive with the subject: Samples and the body containing the word 'Cushions' then a response with a "Soft Furnishings' PDF file is sent.

I can't see this using either the filtering or the auto-responder. Is this available within CPanel or is and extra application needed?

Thanks.

2. thobarn

thobarn Well-Known Member

Something like this is best done in user agent level, i.e. your email program, unless it is part of an application, e.g. user is opting in for this email from a web page.

This is an example using Outlook message processing rules, other UAs will have similar functionality.

If you want to use Exim, then this page explains how to do it.

As a note, make sure you are not opening yourself to some sort of abuse. A competitor, for example could forge sender headers and send 1000 emails every hour with the subject "Samples" and body "Cushions" and soon your server will come to a halt as well as possibly getting black listed.

3. oldgit

oldgit Registered

Thanks, thobarn. The Outlook option is the one I'm currently using - which is great as long as I keep Outlook open and stay online.

I'll investigate the exim option. I don't think that spamming is going to be a problem as I will restrict the response to a single domain.

I'm a teacher and trying to setup a system similar to one used by our examination board. Students - who all use the same domain for their email accounts - are asked to send an email with specific subject line and body content. They should then receive a particular response based on the request. Any other mail to this address will fail - so, I guess there is a significant degree of filtering and it should be quite resistant to spammers.

Thanks again for the lead. I'll check it out now.