Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Filter Emails Spam Issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Feemish, Jun 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Feemish

Feemish Active Member

Hi,

In WHM tweak settings I have
    Boxtrapper > OFF
    SpamAssassin > ON
    Spam Box> ON

In WHM Exim I have
    ACL Apache Spam Assassin reject score > No reject

On my Cpanel Account
    Spam Assassin > enabled
    auto delete > disabled
    Spam box enabled

Spam was going into the spam folder, all good.

Then a few days ago I made a filter to forward my email to a gmail account
    ( I used a filter instead of a forwarder as I didn't want duplicate emails building up in the account)

I used a filter like this;
    Any header contains myemail@mydomain.co.uk redirect to myemail@gmail.com

The filter works fine, my emails appear in the gmail account.

HOWEVER where does the spam go? It no longer is appearing in the spam folder on Horde/Roundcube nor in the gmail junk folder. It is disappearing into thin air and I'm feeling disconcerted.

Any ideas? thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you review /var/log/exim_mainlog to see if you notice any specific log entries for messages detected as SPAM? You can search the log for entries related to a specific domain name with a command such as:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain.tld /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Feemish

Feemish Active Member

Thanks Michael,

I did as asked and yes there was a message marked as spam.
    Here is the data, (I replaced emails with XXXX)

2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l H=(email.sage-ingenierie.com) [185.87.102.154]:2651 Warning: "SpamAssassin as XXXXXXX detected message as spam (16.9)"
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l H=(email.sage-ingenierie.com) [185.87.102.154]:2651 Warning: Message has been scanned: no virus or other harmful content was found
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l <= sage.pyrenees@sage-ingenierie.com H=(email.sage-ingenierie.com) [185.87.102.154]:2651 P=esmtp S=6639 id=ce3v266-2lxe9y-36@sage-ingenierie.com T="The greatest diet pill using all-natural AIs." for XXXX@XXXX.co.uk
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l SMTP connection identification D=arka-shop.co.uk O=XXXX@XXXX.co.uk E=XXXX@gmail.com M=1dKdUx-0008RY-4l U=marka23 ID=1014 B=redirect_resolver
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l SMTP connection outbound 1497328333 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l XXXX.co.uk XXXX@gmail.com
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l ** XXXX@gmail.com <XXXX@XXXX.co.uk> R=reject_forwarded_mail_marked_as_spam: This mail cannot be forwarded because it was detected as spam.
    2017-06-13 05:32:13 1dKdUx-0008RY-4l Completed

So the email was not forwarded, which is good.. but where did it go?
    auto delete is disabled, so is Boxtrapper.

4. Feemish

Feemish Active Member

PS.

I just sent the account in question a 'spam' email from a remote account to see what happened...
    and I received a bounce message from the server;

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
    XXXX@gmail.com

(generated from XXXX@XXXX.co.uk)

This mail cannot be forwarded because it was detected as spam.

The email had a details.txt text file attached which said;

Reporting-MTA: dns; server.XXXXXXXX.co.uk

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;XXXX@gmail.com

The above behaviour happened previously some weeks ago when in the ACL options in Exim Configuration Manager I had

Apache SpamAssassin™ reject spam score threshold -- set to 5.5

I now have that disabled. (No reject rule by spam score ) I didn't like it as I was worried about 'backscatter' from spam coming from my server to all the spam messages.. But it now looks like that is happening again now I have enabled this filter (despite 'Apache SpamAssassin™ reject spam score threshold' now being disabled.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager", under the "Apache SpamAssassin Options" tab, check to see if either of the following options are enabled:

Do not forward mail to external recipients if it matches the Apache SpamAssassin™ internal spam_score setting
    Do not forward mail to external recipients based on the defined Apache SpamAssassin™ score

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...