Filter Incoming Emails by Domain & Country new WHM Email Feature

luiavag

Oct 30, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

Can someone confirm if the new features in WHM (Filter Incoming Emails by Domain & Filter Incoming Emails by Country since release v84.0.5) when email is "rejected", either, email is received and a bounce is sent by the system and therefore email relay quota is used? or is the email simply "thrown away" and no relay quota is used?

Before these new features, I currently use a custom spam filter in /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter to thrown away all unwanted mail without using my email relay quota.

Here is how I do it currently before any other filters are applied:

if
$header_from: contains "@qq.com"
or $header_from: contains "@0038.com"
etc, etc......
then
seen finish
endif

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

I went over the bounce information on this here: Block Emails By Domain Extension

Because these are bounces at SMTP time I don't believe that they would count against an account's relay quota.

Reactions: luiavag

luiavag

Oct 30, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the quick replay, my mistake, you are right, the bounce doesn't count as relay quota, however the incoming mail does.

Would you confirm if the method used in these new features will in any way affect the relay quota?

luiavag

Oct 30, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
By relay quota do you mean the number of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour? Incoming mail does not count for this at all.
I mean my servers email relay quota overall.

To clarify further, my WHM/Cpanel installation is in a Goddady VPS which uses their email relay server to send mail and has an outbound email limit of 5000 per day by default.

The crazy part is that, before I applied my custom exim spam filter, my quota was being heavily used by the spam I got, that's why I suspect the bounced mail would count as relay quota "in my situation" with these new added features.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Oh I see. To be honest I don't know the answer to that question. I would assume if the mail goes through their relay servers then yes it counts, but this is a question you'd need to ask them specifically.

luiavag

Oct 30, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I went over the bounce information on this here: Block Emails By Domain Extension

Because these are bounces at SMTP time I don't believe that they would count against an account's relay quota.
Thanks! I think I got my answer from your previous reply, since these methods do generate a bounce then yes it will in fact "in my case" count as relay quota. It'll be nice if they just throw away mail like I do it in my exim filter.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

Bashed

Dec 18, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What's a good suggested list of countries to filter out? I'm guessing definitely China as one. Maybe Vietnam.