Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Filter spam score greater than -30

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by RiversideKid, Dec 14, 2013.

1. RiversideKid

RiversideKid Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I want to set up a user level filter to move mail to a folder when the spam score provided by spamassassin is greater than a negative number and it isn't working.

I have used BoxTrapper for several years, so I have a very accurate whitelist. Each whitelisted entry provides a score -100 and spam generally gets a positive number, but I still get about 30 mails a day that are obvious spam and yet get a negative number through spamassassin. I would like to filter on those messages so those that are not marked spam and have a spam score of -30 or greater are moved to a folder.

I have a shared hosting account and am not allowed to modify the rules to any great degree.
    cpanel 11.38.2 (build 12)

SpamAssassin is turned on
    SpamAssassin has required_score 1
    SpamAssassin moves all mail marked as spam to a 'spam' folder

User level filtering includes a rule as:
    cpanel filter: Spam Status begins with "No" AND
    cpanel filter: Spam Score is above (#'s only) "-60"
    cpanel filter: Deliver to folder /.NotWhiteListed
    cpanel filter: Stop Processing Rules

SpamAssassin is working great and assigning scores but I still get quite a few obvious spam in the inbox with a negative score. With my whitelist, I should get a score around -100 on any whitelisted email so anything greater than -30 and up should be "not whitelisted, but not spam" email and I would like this in it's own folder.

Using the cpanel filter test I can see that any message with a negative score does not match the rule for "spam score is above (#'s only)" rule. How can I create a filter on messages with a negative score but not too negative?

Thank you in Advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The score entered can be a positive or negative number. I recommend consulting with your web hosting provider so they can review /var/log/exim_mainlog to see why exactly the filter rule is not enacted.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RiversideKid

RiversideKid Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Michael, Thank you for the reply. With the knowledge that my rule "should work" I opened a ticket with my hosting company. Maybe the original rule should work, but my hosting company suggested using a regex match to move anything from -60 to 0 or positive integers to a folder.

We have cPanel version 11.38.2 (build 12).