The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filter Word and Excel documents containing macros

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jayharland, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jayharland

jayharland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello everyone,

I hope this isn't a duplicate, I tried searching for it and couldn't find anything, but I'm trying to prevent emails that contain word or excel documents with macros from being delivered.

I already have exim rejecting zips that contain executables (thanks to this forum) but I'd like to extend this further.

I've actually been searching all over for a solution to this and am not having any luck. I'd settle for a way to just reject empty word and excel files. My skills writing shell scripts is novice, but I'm able to follow the logic of them.

Any help is appreciated!

- Jay

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Is it only the file extensions that match certain content criteria, or are you attempting to block all Word and Excel documents?

Thank you.

3. jayharland

jayharland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Not the file types themselves, just ones that are either empty or contain a macro.

Where I work, the accounting people send a lot of excel and word docs back and forth as well as receive them from other locations, so blocking just the file types is going to be too much.

I would just like to stop the ones that execute a macro and, like we had one instance of a few weeks ago, encrypt and hold the users files for ransom.

I'm sure it's not simple, but I know it can be done. Thanks for the prompt reply and any help.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no native features in cPanel that will filter a document this way, but you are welcome to utilize the Exim Users mailing list for assistance with advanced Exim rules:

Exim-users Info Page

Thank you.

5. jayharland

jayharland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you, that's my next stop then! I appreciate it.