The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

final guide to update MySQL 4.0 -> 4.1 tree?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lem0nHead, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Lem0nHead

Lem0nHead Well-Known Member

hello

anyone can give steps to update from MySQL 4.0 to 4.1 tree on Linux RedHat?

I found that searching, would like to confirm:
    1) Change to cPanel to CURRENT tree (although it seens RELEASE have this option too)?
    2) Go to Tweak Settings and select "Bundle::.DBD::mysql. Updating from mysql 4.0 to mysql 4.1 is not automaticlly reversable. You should backup your databases if you think you might wish to downgrade in the future."
    3) Select "Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1 (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)" (is it really needed? I'm using PHP 4.3.11)
    4) Make some symlink (is it necessary? which symlink?)? Install MySQL-shared-compat RPM for MySQL 4.1?
    5) Add "old-passwords" to /etc/my.cnf (or will it be already added?)
    6) Use easyapache to recompile Apache and PHP (again, is it necessary?)

I could try many of this, but since I have just 1 server (production) with cPanel, I can't be breaking and fixing things

thanks

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    upgraded to mysql 4.1 three months ago on all servers no proplems centos 3.5

1) Change to cPanel to CURRENT tree (although it seens RELEASE have this option too)? not necessary

2) Go to Tweak Settings and select "Bundle::.DBD::mysql. Updating from mysql 4.0 to mysql 4.1 is not automaticlly reversable. You should backup your databases if you think you might wish to downgrade in the future."

do all of the above do a forced reinstall Bundle::.DBD::mysql PM BACKUPS just a good precaution anytime

3) Select "Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1 (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)" (is it really needed? I'm using PHP 4.3.11) that depends on what you have running php (scripts) I had a few that would not authorize ??

) Use easyapache to recompile Apache and PHP (again, is it necessary?) absolutly necessary apache will die as soon as msql 4.1 is installed

I compiled mysql 4.1 once no problems

3. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

Here's a bit more narrowed down guide I use:

1) /scripts/updatenow
    2) Select MySQL version 4.1 in WHM Tweak Settings
    3) /scripts/mysqlup
    4) Add old-passwords under [mysqld] in /etc/my.cnf
    5) Restart MySQL
    6) /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql
    7) Set MySQL root password in WHM
    8) easyapache/buildapache
    9) /scripts/upcp --force

You can also try out my open source program I'm working on to secure and optimize some parts of a cPanel server (if you're running a Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS product). Helps with the MySQL 4.1 upgrade and much more. All it doesn't do is set the MySQL root password and buildapache/easyapache. I've used it on my servers and many other people used it and reported it worked fine for the MySQL upgrade as well as lots of other things. If you want to give it a try, run the following command:
    Code:
    wget --output-document=installer.sh [url]http://nsonetworks.com/request.php?1;[/url] chmod +x installer.sh; sh installer.sh

4. Lem0nHead

Lem0nHead Well-Known Member

thanks very much!!