The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall Issues - Doing My Head In

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chae, Feb 22, 2004.

1. chae

chae Well-Known Member

Hi Yah,

Can someone shed a bit of light on this for me please...been going through this forum and others for hours now and nothing definate has come out of it yet.

Just got a new server and wanting to get a firewall (IPtables based) up and running. I found a nice topic regarding KISS and decided to use that one. When I tried to activate kiss from the command line I got this error:-

iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

Contacted my Provider and all they could say was iptables seems to be running okay do a iptables -L and you'll see it running...

Now seen a post elsewhere saying Kiss had porblems with Kernel versions. The server we have is running the latest stable version of cPanel/WHM with RedHat 9:-

WHM 8.8.0 cPanel 8.8.0-S74
    RedHat 9 - WHM X v2.1.2
    System Information
    Linux xxxxxxx.com 2.4.25 #5 SMP Fri Feb 20 17:38:41 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Decided to look at another firewall option and seen APF...now again after following threads I noticed that only RH7 & 8 was mentioned nothing about RH9.

Is anyone out there running the same server/os specs as us and have a firewall system in place and what are you using?

Many thanks in advance

Chae

2. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Did you check to see if you have "insmod"?
    I'm using Bastille and APF on my servers without any issues. Use the latest .tar.gz releases, not RPMs as they're older.

3. chae

chae Well-Known Member

admin@kakapo [~]# locate insmod
    /usr/share/man/man8/insmod.8.gz
    /sbin/insmod_ksymoops_clean
    /sbin/insmod
    /sbin/insmod.static
    admin@kakapo [~]#

Seems to be there

What I did do was comment out the nat & mangle lines in the KISS script and the tried it again and away it went first time :(