The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall Ports - An Updated List for CentOS 5.x?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myce, Mar 28, 2009.

1. myce

myce Well-Known Member

I have been having a problem with APF 9.7.1 locking out my DNS (i.e. my websites and email start getting "server not found" messages at approximately the same time that the cPanel upgrade runs every night). Stopping the APF firewall immediately fixes the problem. I've been running APF successfully for over 5 years, so I assumed that the ports have probably changed or new ones are required with CentOS 5.x or cPanel/WHM (I just upgraded to a new server and was running CentOS 4.x and APF 9.6 on the old with no problems).

Here are the ports that my APF configuration allowed in /etc/apf/conf.apf:

Today, I ran the following to check for Open Ports on my server:

nmap -sT -O localhost

and it produced the following report, which shows that I need to add three additional ports:

So, I've added these three ports to my APF configuration. But, if anyone knows of any additional ports that I should allow or dis-allow from the following updated APF port list, please post them here, along with any additional information you may have about them:

Thanks!

2. myce

myce Well-Known Member

I have switched from APF to ConfigServer Services

After reading about it on this forum, I have decided to dump APF in favor of CSF (ConfigServer Services Firewall). CSF is an add-in to WHM, which makes it convenient to administrate. Both allows and blocks can be done straight from the WHM console, as well as the firewall can be restarted from there. I have used all the same TCP/UDP ports mentioned here for APF, and I think this is a complete list, unless anyone can suggest additions. CSF ROCKS! :D