Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

FirewallD, clamav and lmd

Discussion in 'Security' started by brand_land, Apr 24, 2019.

1. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Firewall D
    I have a Centos 7 VPS, do I have to use firewalld ? if yes then what is the purpose of security adviser ? and if I do, do i need to configure it or just enabling it would do the work ?
    I once tried to run it and the server stopped as I didn't open both ports 2223 and 2224, if I enable it and open the two ports, do I have to enable the SSH access in case anything wrong happens ? as I disable SSH for security.

ClamAV
    It already came installed with the VPS, how di I make sure that it's database is up to date ?
    and how do I configure a cron job to scan all users and send the result to an email ?

LMD
    Do I need it with the clamav ?

And what else can I do to secure the server ?

Thank you

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The two aren't really related at all, security advisor provides information and suggestions about matters of security that encompass a large range of items which do not include the firewall.

When you enable a firewall you need to ensure that the ports necessary for your services are open. cPanel has a script that will do this automatically for you:

Code:
    /scripts/configure_firewall_for_cpanel
    What are you using ports 2223 and 2224 for?

This should be done automatically but you can update the ClamAV database by running freshclam freshclam(1): update virus databases - Linux man page

For ClamAV configuration the documentation here should be useful: Configure ClamAV Scanner - Version 78 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

If you're referencing Linux Malware Detect, it's a useful tool for finding malware and can be used along side ClamAV for additional protection, though it does essentially the same thing ClamAV does.

The documentation here should be helpful for this question: Tips to Make Your Server More Secure - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    So I don't need any configuration ?
    and what about SSH access, do i have to enable it if I'm using a firewall ?

They are used in order to be able to manage my VPS through Godaddy dashboard, without them I won't have access to WHM unless I use SSH.

I read this but I couldn't find out how to modify it to make it send an email with the infected files to my email address

Thank you very much for your reply