Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

First 8 characters conflict with one or more other usernames

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by HostXNow_Chris, May 19, 2019.

1. HostXNow_Chris

HostXNow_Chris Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

Any idea how to turn off the following when trying to migrate cPanel accounts from one server to another?

The following <insert number> remote users are set to migrate with new names whose first 8 characters conflict with one or more other proposed new usernames. To resolve this, you can either rename the incoming accounts or deselect them.

When migrating many servers at the same time it can really slow the work rate down. I read somewhere if using MariaDB it would not do this but it is with latest version 10.3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Welcome to cPanel... where what we do, doesn't always make a lot of sense.

Kudos to whoever it was that thought allowing longer than 8 character usernames would be a great idea - so long as the first 8 characters are unique! Great idea!

Seriously though, yea this was enabled in cPanel some time ago when most were still using MySQL which had a certain character limit. MariaDB greatly lifted this limit and it may now be lifted in MySQL. But the cPanel system still requires the first 8 characters of every username to be unique.

I said it then and I'm still saying it... if the first 8 characters of a username have to be unique... then what's the point of having longer than 8 character usernames? That's just stupid if you ask me. Either lift the restriction on the first 8 characters having to be unique (which depends on MySQL/MariaDB username limits, of which I have not followed) or the inclusion of longer than 8 character usernames never should have been enacted.

HostXNow_Chris likes this.
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @HostXNow_Chris,

With MariaDB, you can disable the following option under the SQL tab in WHM >> Tweak Settings to bypass the eight-character unique username requirement:

Require a username prefix on names of new databases and database users

Here's this option's description:

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    HostXNow_Chris likes this.
  4. HostXNow_Chris

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I did not see that setting before. I wish I knew that before spending 2 hours doing it all manually. :)

I shall try it. Thanks.

5. HostXNow_Chris

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    @cPanelMichael actually I already found that setting and turned it off, but it still shows the same error as mentioned before?

Why does it say it is going to rename the database from a name to the same name as below

Error: The following 9 remote users are set to migrate with new names whose first 8 characters conflict with one or more other proposed new usernames. To resolve this, you can either rename the incoming accounts or deselect them.

“user1” is set to be renamed “user1”.
    “user2” is set to be renamed “user2”.
    “user3” is set to be renamed “user3”.
    “user4” is set to be renamed “user4”.
    “user5” is set to be renamed “user5”.
    “user5” is set to be renamed “user6”.
    “user6” is set to be renamed “user7”.
    “user7” is set to be renamed “user8”.
    “user8” is set to be renamed “user9”.

Bug?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @HostXNow_Chris,

Can you report the issue from your last response using our Defects link so we can confirm why that's happening? You can post the ticket number here once it's opened.

Thank you.

7. HostXNow_Chris

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Ok. I created it.

Your Request ID is: 12352621

cPanelMichael likes this.