The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Apache now MySQL

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by jeffleeismyhero, May 24, 2006.

1. jeffleeismyhero

Yesterday I was given the recent "Apache Insecure" message so I updated apache and everything worked fine.

Today I got a call saying that MySQL was not working (worked after Apache update). I logged in and found:

Important Notice: Incompatible versions of Mysql 4.0.x and NPTL based systems.
    If you are running a newer linux system which is NPTL based (CentOS 4, Fedora 3+, RHE 4, etc) and are having problems with MySQL 4.0.x (versions later then 4.0.23*), we recommend upgrading to MySQL 4.1.x as we have determined that there are compatibility issues on these platforms. You can easily upgrade to 4.1.x by changing the Mysql Version in Tweak Settings
    If you are worried about compatibility with MySQL 4.0, be sure to check the box labeled: Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1. in Tweak Settings.
    If you are unsure if your system is NPTL based, run getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION at the command line and see if it displays NPTL.
    * 4.0.23 does not have any known issues, but is subject to security vulnerabilities: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1516, http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1517

Now it is great to get these warnings but I would like them a bit sooner, say before the update is actually applied... I would like to keep my server operational but can't do that if cPanel's idea of warnings is more or less just letting me know after something is already done. It is like getting a warning from your car that an accedent will occur... after the fact.

It would not be so bad if MySQL 4.1 would install this week. For no apparent reason the download slows to a crawl randomly:

900K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 33% 560.21 KB/s
    950K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 35% 648.40 KB/s
    1000K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 37% 567.78 KB/s
    1050K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 38% 712.03 KB/s
    1100K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 40% 855.86 KB/s
    1150K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 42% 754.00 KB/s
    1200K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 44% 360.13 B/s
    1250K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 45% 811.57 B/s
    1300K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 47% 608.48 B/s
    1350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 49% 942.60 B/s
    1400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 51% 326.79 B/s

Any helpful hints on how to stop this? I still want cPanel updated for security issues and new fantastico data but I would like more of a test then deploy type of update system.