Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First domain configuration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bardnom, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bardnom

bardnom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello,

I would like to learn more about hosting and I have being using separate VPS for each site which now with 5 sites seems a bit over the top since they have low traffic and I think with WHM&cPanel I could lower the cost or even host more and would be much easier to add account than configure the whole VPS each time.

What I did is rent a VPS, they offered WHM and cPanel pre installed and that works, I even added account with domain and set that up with WP and site works. However, I have domain with different company since they don't offer domains and now I would like to use my sub-domain to connect to WHM but I'm having issues with SSL. Current way to log in to WHM is 4.b.d.cloud:2087 and I would like to make it subdomain.domain.com(or subdomain.domain.com:2087) but if I do simple forward of domain I get access denied by server in console because of SSL issues since hostname is set to 4.b.d.cloud

I've failed multiple times already by trying different tutorials and posts and had to reinstall the server few so I'm searching for directions here.

If it helps domain is on GoDaddy

The account I added on domain.com after doing domain.com/whm gets redirected to WHM login, should that happen, I know domain.com/cpanel should work so they can configure PHP, mail and so on?

2. bardnom

bardnom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hm, looks like I did it correctly just didn't wait long enough, point subdomain to server IP and change hostname of server and now subdomain.domain.com:2087 works but there's no SSL.

Will AutoSSL take care of that or?

3. bardnom

bardnom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    To answer my own question the cPanel somehow takes care about that automatically and now new hostname has https after few hours.

As for domain.com/whm that question still remains, it seems like every account can do domain.com/whm and will get redirected to whm login, can this be "hidden" to only be accessible by that subdomain.domain.com:2087, do I need to add redirect rule to apache or something?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, it should receive a free SSL certificate, but it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for it to be issued. You can read more about how the free SSL certificate for the server's hostname works at:

Free cPanel-Signed Hostname Certificate - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can modify the options under the "Redirection" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" to change the redirect behavior.

Thank you.

6. bardnom

bardnom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thank you for the 1st link, that's what I found and how it got fixed.

As for redirection this is not quite what I was looking for. I create new account on domainB.com but when you do domainB.com/whm they get redirected to whm login, they can't log in with their account but I can login with root through there. What I would like to do is enable whm login only on something.domainA.com:2087
    Or do I not understand some of these options I have where you mentioned to look?

Code:
    Choose the closest matched domain for which that the system has a valid certificate when redirecting from non-SSL to SSL URLs. Formerly known as “Always redirect to SSL/TLS” [?]

Non-SSL redirect destination [?]

SSL redirect destination [?]

Logout redirection URL [?]

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can disable the /whm alias completely using the steps referenced on the following thread:

SOLVED - Remove domain.com/cPanel & WHM URL

Is that what you are seeking?

Thank you.

8. bardnom

bardnom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This is exactly what I needed, thank you so much, not sure how i missed it, didn't come as search result of "Remove /whm". Hopefully this will stop part of those brute force attacks by bots.

cPanelMichael likes this.