The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First step towards system backup and recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by billau, Jul 17, 2004.

1. billau

billau Well-Known Member

Here is a simple tool that will backup all the critical files of a linux box, sysreport it's name.

Just run the command "sysreport" and it will backup all the
    critical files of the server and create a compressed tar file
    in the name of the server and place it in /tmp partition.

If you don't find the command please install sysreport-<version>.rpm.

This tool was developed by redhat as a tool to assist crash recovery personals to simulate the crashed machine.In our case this backed up file can provide the data center the vital information to recover servers and also can be used to restore most of the important configuration files.

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Interesting program.

3. jhobbs

jhobbs Member

cPanel's Backup and Restore apparently deal only with accounts, not the Linux Kernal or the Linux configuration data.

I'd be very interested in something similar to cPanel's Backup (daily, weekly, monthly) that would allow full restoration of my site, in case of hacks or some screwup. I have the disk space available on a separate HD, just not the expertise to accomplish this. I'd like the result of running this Linux Backup to be Linux installed with cPanel setup data in place, but any offending Trojans or whatever deleted. Then, I could restore any or all accounts, and be back in business.

Is this something worthwhile, or is there already a better way to accomplish this??
    Jack.

4. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I need a script to do a full server backup and transfer

transfer by ftp to another server. I have a dedicated server customer who uses his box to run one particular mailing script. This script required special setup of MySQL and other things, and was installed by the script authors. Now, the script company is folding and there is no support available for the script. I personally have no idea how to fix this script when it breaks, which happens whenever we upgrade cpanel or MySQL or at random times for no known reason. I am thinking that backing up the server including the OS files is a good idea for this client, but I have no idea if it would work to restore such a backup, nor how to do it.

Advice?