The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Startup Steps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spirus60, May 4, 2014.

1. spirus60

spirus60 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've got a site running on a godaddy VPS (jan 2014) and when I set it up I somehow elected the cpanel option. It gets a bit confusing as when you "launch cpanel" from the godaddy site it actually takes you to WHM and doesn't quite complete the build for the site under cpanel (who knew!). All was fine until there was an "IPV6 bug" that cpanel broke/fixed in late April which brought to light that I had not fully installed my site under cpanel and was now viewed as a "custom" configuration by godaddy hence I was in limbo from a support perspective.

So I grabbed a new VPS and am starting fresh to see how to do it right and I'm trying to follow the rules but I'm missing a few pieces of information. I'm just trying to install the following system software
    java 1.6
    tomcat 6

and it's not clear if I should do this via yum e.g. yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk or is this something best done under easyapache? Same for tomcat (yes 6 is old but that's where our app is running today). It also appears that MYSQL 5.5 is running by default so I should be good to go there.

What's the best way to get java and tomcat installed and running under cpanel so that I don't run afoul of the godaddy and cpanel gods?

thanks

steve

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  3. spirus60

spirus60 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks Vanessa. this helps to describe the interplay of the systems but did not quite answer my question. So if I'm trying to load just tomcat 6 and java 1.6.0, what's the best way to do this using cpanel and to stay within the norms of cpanel so that I don't look too custom. I understand that I'll be adding my code to this base which will make things custom from one perspective but what I really need is a vanilla tomcat6 and java 1.6.0 load that looks and works normal in the cpanel world.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks

Steve

4. vanessa

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Steve,

I re-read your OP, but having trouble understanding how the documentation link I provided doesn't answer your question. Perhaps I'm just not understanding the request. What I'm gathering is, you want to know the Approved cPanel Way(TM) of integrating Tomcat, to avoid introducing a foreign setup that may at some point conflict with future upgrades or changes you make within your system, or make GoDaddy think that you have a custom setup. If this is in fact what you're asking, the documentation link does cover how Tomcat/Java should be installed on a cPanel server.

What GoDaddy does and doesn't consider a "custom setup" is outside the scope of what any of us can answer here - I would assume though that any change you make to your server outside of what they configure for you initially would be considered custom. So, the best way to address this is by making changes in a maintanable and cPanel-supported fashion. To some degree, GoDaddy will not support changes you make to your server, regardless of how you make them.

5. spirus60

spirus60 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Vanessa,

Ok. So I'm trying to install Tomcat 6 and Java 1.6.0 and the doc you pointed me to lists Tomcat 5 and Tomcat 7 as "Tomcat will install the following components on your server:" so that's one area where I'm a bit confused. There's no listing of the Tomcat version I'm after. Perhaps it's there once I get to the option step but....

I did jump in and ran easyapache using the default settings - which, of course, does not get you to the "short options list". I was supposed to select the "customize" option (see earlier aversion to customization...). Anyway, the switch on easyapache was not well documented (enough) so I unfortunately went down the wrong path to even see if Tomcat 6 is an option.

Is there a way to remove this configuration within cpanel so that I can start over?

As I said, running yum from the command line to load this stuff is very easy but, as you correctly summarized above, I'm trying to stay within the cpanel lines and am looking for a documented approach to get Tomcat 6 and Java 1.6.0 loaded from cpanel.

Thanks again,

Steve

6. vanessa

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did you run EA? When you go through the interface, and reach the "short options list", it clearly says what version is being installed. cPanel will install Tomcat 7. If you want to go back a version that's fine, but you'll need to replace the Tomcat source files with version 6 instead. It's a manual step, but still perfectly fine.

There is also little need to start over - each built will overwrite the last. But there's an option in EA on the first screen where you can select the Basic profile, which is built by default when cPanel is installed.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please note that cPanel currently only supports Tomcat 7 through EasyApache. While you are welcome to implement a custom workaround for Tomcat 6, keep in mind it's installation and use is not officially supported. Have you verified your application will not work with Tomcat 7?

Thank you.

8. spirus60

spirus60 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok. I'll take a look. Thank you both.

9. spirus60

spirus60 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Again. So I'm rerunning easy apache and I guess what sounds simple i.e. "just select tomcat...." is just not present on the short options list. Perhaps the documentation is out of date.

So I'm looking for Tomcat and can run Tomcat 7 and want to load Java 1.6.0. So do I head to the next page exhaustive options list? Okay, java or a simple tomcat 7 is not present here either. Should I just run the yum commands?

Here is what the short options list shows today:
    Short Options List
    Please choose specific options
    Mod SuPHP [More Info ↑]

This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Enables:
    CGI
    Mod Bandwidth [More Info ↑]

v0.92 - see documentation that can found by clicking "More Info" for details
    Mod Mono (.Net 1.x) [More Info ↑]

v2.6.3 - Experts ONLY: Do not install this unless you have a mono admin This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Disables:
    Mod Mono (.Net 2.x)
    Mod Mono (.Net 2.x) [More Info ↑]

Not currently compatible with mod_mono .Net 1.x support, one will be dropped This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Disables:
    Mod Mono (.Net 1.x)
    Mod Perl [More Info ↑]

v2.0.6 - not needed to run CGI scripts
    Mod Qos [More Info ↑]

See documentation at mod_qos
    Mod Ruid2 EXPERIMENTAL [More Info ↑]

v0.9.8 - see documentation that can found by clicking "More Info" for details This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Disables:
    Cache
    Disk Cache
    Mod FastCGI v2.3.9
    MPM Event
    MPM Leader
    MPM Perchild
    MPM Threadpool
    MPM Worker
    MemCache
    Tomcat 5.5
    Mod Mono (.Net 1.x)
    Mod Mono (.Net 2.x)
    POSIX
    Tomcat 7.0
    Mod Security [More Info ↑]

v2.8.0 for Apache 2.2 and 2.4 This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Enables:
    UniqueId
    Tomcat 7.0 EXPERIMENTAL [More Info ↑]

v7.0.42-1 - Experts ONLY: Do not install this unless you have a tomcat admin. This option will make the following changes to your profile prior to the build:

Disables:
    Mod Ruid2

#9 spirus60, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  10. vanessa

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Or maybe you're just not looking? You even pasted the output containing the tomcat option in your last post. Perhaps taking a couple seconds to actually read through the list might be beneficial.

fromwhm.png fromcli.png

11. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

When you select suPHP, it may disable Tomcat 7, but you can re-enable it. Just check the Tomcat 7 option in the short list.

I just tested this on my test VM and it worked just fine. Installed Tomcat 7 and is running with suPHP.