The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by biondizzle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. biondizzle

biondizzle Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Bought a dedicated server for the first time, I paid the extra money every month to have CPanel because that's what I know and love from shared hosting in the past, got my first dedicated server today, logged into WHM as root, created an account for my website, logged into CPanel as the account and logged into the account via FTP, this all works.

My problem:
    I have 1 IP address, I have my domain from another company, now how do I generate 2 name server names assign my IP to them and assign my domain to the account?
    Basically I just need to transfer my domain to my new dedicated server that runs CPanel/WHM, this is my first time with dedicated, have no clue how to do this, didn't know where else to ask. Normally when you sign up for shared hosting, the provide you with 2 nameserver addresses that you just point your domain to. So if you can point me in the right direction or tell me how to do this, that would be awesome! Hope it's ok I ask this question here.

Thanks a bunch!
    -Mike

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Mike,

Glad to hear you've chosen cPanel for your dedicated machine :)

For the nameserver question, you'll have to create private nameserver entries at your domain registrar, so who is your domain registrar? You'll need to use the IP address for both nameservers, since you only have 1 IP at this time. After you create those private nameservers, then change your domain at your domain registrar to point to those nameservers.

In WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area, you'll also need to add the nameservers and add the IP address using "Add an A entry for this nameserver" for each.

You would then transfer your prior account to the new server using WHM > Transfers area.

Thanks!