Fixed it till I broke it: new WP installs need ftp info

aguynamedphil

Registered
Oct 19, 2019
Toronto On Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
While beefing up the security on my WHM/cPanel (86.0.21) I switched some switch -- now new WP installs require ftp info for plugin-updates.

This was not the case before: you'd upload the zip archive of WP into the public_html directory, expand it and you were good to go. Updates happened with the click of a button

I was trying to get CSF installed to enable country blocking. While installing it advised a bunch of small changes mostly via tweak settings but I think some Apache stuff as well.

I went through all the settings I remember and even looked at the CSF scan to see if there was anything but I couldn't find anything that would cause this.

I know the issue here has something to do with setting the appropriate ownership for the files - I think WP wants the owner to be apache, but I'd really like to get it back to the state where things just worked as they did.

Any idea what setting I set?

Next time I'll write down all the changes!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Which PHP handler are you using? Do you have suexec on the server? Do you remember anything you changed? It's so hard to know what to tell you to do without knowing what was modified. The FTP request is specific to file permissions/ownership and if WP is wanting the owner to be apache/nobody this is most likely due to a handler change or SuEXEC modification.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
AH - figured it out: on one of the new accounts, FPM wasn't turned od. Turned it on and all is well.

Hey, there's are all these other settings! I wonder what they do...
Honestly though, that is absolutely the best way to learn :)