The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fixed_login authenticator failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pphillips, Jun 26, 2006.

1. pphillips

pphillips Well-Known Member

I'm having SMTP Authentication relaying issues that look like this in /var/log/exim_mainlog:

2006-06-26 13:28:03 fixed_login authenticator failed for (dufflepod) [75.161.34.102]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=sue@theirdomain.com)

POP before SMTP works, but not SMTP Authentication.

I have looked extensively in these forums and online and have tried the following:

/scripts/upcp --force
    /scripts/eximup --force
    /scripts/mailperm

service syslog restart
    service exim restart

And I restarted the server.

I may have caused the problem initially by accidentally running chown root:root * inside /etc/. I compared the ownership of every file/directory against another cpanel server we have and fixed ownerships everywhere I could, and now it seems to be correct, though I wonder if I somehow missed something.

Users were unable to email anyone outside of the local server, but they can now.. just wont let users send via SMTP Authentication method, only POP before SMTP.

All the accounts on this server were recently copied over from an older server, if that helps.

Help would be *GREATLY* appreciated!! I'm going crazy I've spent all day on this.

#1 pphillips, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  2. pphillips

Just noticed that we also get this error while trying to reset email passwords:

The e-mail account droberts@domainname was successfully modified. [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive] droberts+domainname.com

3. MaestriaNick

MaestriaNick Well-Known Member

entry for domain present in /etc/localdomains ?

4. johntampi

johntampi Member

Hi,

Check the ownership of /home/"user"/etc . It must be "user":mail
    chown -R user:mail /home/"user"/etc

Thanks.

5. pphillips

Thanks.. I don't know how this nearly 3 year old thread got bumped but I think I eventually resolved the problem.. I don't think the "etc" directory existed at that time within the users home directory for that version of cpanel, but in any case we're doing alright now.

Cheers