The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flash Demos in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rich98764, Aug 18, 2004.

1. rich98764

rich98764 Active Member

We are working on a project to add a flash demo to each section of WHM, for users to be explained on what parts of an area do what. This will be a great help to new users, and as well to current users.

What I need is comments/suggestions on what we have now.

Your comments and suggestions will be taken into consideration in how we do the rest of the demos. So your feedback would be grateful.

Below you can view a directory of htm/swf files, simply click on each additional htm file to view the demo. You can get an idea by thinking if you were in that section of WHM, were to click a DEMO link, and it would bring up this demo to explain what the section is for etc.

http://cpdocs.com/test/resellercenter/

Thanks again!

2. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

pointless, just like this post

3. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

qwerty your wack.

4. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Since these gimps don't know how to give real feedback.

I think it's too slow, speed it up a bit, I can read it 5 times before going to the next caption. I also think it needs some sort of frame, it looks strange having the whitespace on the right and the bottom.

5. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What about being able to click to advance to the next frame, I agree with nickn it is pretty slow. The frames is also a good idea to help define the page and make it look better.

6. rich98764

rich98764 Active Member

I will take this into account, for now, we have left it slow as we do have many non-English speaking clients. Making it too fast would confuse them, but I understand some of them are painfully slow. So edit'ing will be done.

Thanks nickn

7. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

You're kidding me right?

Honestly... first of all, if you are running a web host, you should not need flash tutorials. God.... I mean, next we will have 10 year-old kids running webhosts (O wait, we do).

Cpanel tutorials on its' own are pretty taken up, I mean demodemo and all that.

Now, this is just me... maybe you should try this for resellers... or maybe a guide on how to use a control panel and what it is? I just had a reseller demand I install xpanel.

I think this is a bad way to go.... it's not something cpanel needs - how about making cpanel more secure and just keeping a tighter box instead?

I would like to see XML responses and an easier to use API. Not that it isn't easy... but, XML is my life.

Maybe also some added features? Stuff that works? Like a virus scanner that works on the users control panel to tell them to log into cpanel and do something with it...

Better support for PostgreSQL... for some reason my users are using 3 databases when they are using 0?

All `n all I don't think these flash tutorials will be any good, maybe just a better set of docs? (Like php.net). Last thing we need is people who don't know what cpanel is running a web hosting show... and if you are going to say everyone must learn, maybe they should learn elsewhere - not in WHM?

I agree people should learn... maybe a set of interactive demos on the site telling users what a control panel is and why use cpanel and not ensim etc.

If you add it I hope there is an option to turn it off... I for one don't like it, WHM/cpanel is so easy as it is, why don't you just spoon feed?

8. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

I would prefer a text/html based help system. I always believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple ******) principle. Server admins don't need flashy flash tutorials. They need something quick and practical.

What about going back to the basics, like just a help icon beside each command for example with a clear explanation of what each function does? Or even just improving the comments in each and every function pages.

That should be the priority and not some Flash tutorials.

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I like 'em. Can we get a complete set for cPanel itself for our customers too? :D

Keep going guys, don't listen to the complainers.

10. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Feedback means something to SOME people buddy....

11. rich98764

rich98764 Active Member

Well the main post was for feedback on the demos, and while I don't mind other suggestions for other things involving cPanel, this is not my area, I am working on the demos, so I wanted feedback on them.

I believe if the WHM demos go over well etc, then cPanel demos will follow, all providing things go smoothly and we can futureproof everything (making it easily updateable and addable as things change and are added)

I really do appreciate all the feedback, and I understand the need for simple support as well, I will address all of the issues mentioned with development and see what all we can do to make options for things.

The main objective is to better cPanel in any way we can, and hearing from you all is exactly the thing we need to do first to address issues at hand. Development has a long list of todo's for the next major release, and some of the issues mentioned will be addressed.

Thanks again.

12. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure what that even means, buddy.

@ cpanelrich thanks for your hard work.

13. networxhosting

networxhosting Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I think this is a great idea! Keep up the good work...and for those who don't like the idea/dont want the tutorials, my suggestion would just be the ability to turn them off completely if you dont want them displayed (feature manager, tweak settings, whatever)

:)

- domer

14. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Make it a plugin... cpanel has geom from a control apnel to an over-bloated server manager....

Are we forgetting it's a control panel? Not a theater.

15. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

I can tell you that your about to cut into a good amount of sales other companies do by providing flash tutorials to companies as their main income.

How about you guys concentrate more on improving cpanel internally then making it look prettier.

16. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad business model to me. What is to stop anyone from releasing free flash tutorials for WHM and/or cPanel? If one generous person with a copy of RoboDemo can put you out of business, it is time to consider a new business.

I think there is still money to be made by creating customized demos for cPanel hosts. We do not care to offer help docs/demos that feature products we may have removed and/or skins that we do not offer.

I am wondering why the first wave of demos is WHM based versus cPanel based. It would seem to me that if you are producing these for web hosts to learn the system, you would be better off spending the time revamping the documentation. I guess these are more a marketing tool for introducing WHM without offering a demo on cpanel.net than anything else.

17. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

Hope that wasn't directed at me as I no longer create tutorials, I was only making a point.

18. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Ok well, I think you should take the time from the flash demos, from the vservers, from the windows version(s), from the press, from the pretty looking interfaces, from the large downloads, from the sales.... and put all that time into making a tight little control panel that is both valid, and easy to use (XML data etc.).

I am starting to see why people pick ensim.... :( it is light weight, and no bs.

All this demo talk is making me sick... time for a drink. Later guys :)

19. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Hey!!! watch it!!! I am 10 years old now and have been running a hosting company since 95' !!!! I vote NO for flash anything. Make people learn the hard way ..click shit and break it. It's the real way.

You know what? I am not really 10 years old ..but I bet one day we will see this start to happen. Hell I have some 10 year old customers ..next thing you know they want to resell!!! maybe they will need a flash job? Maybe fisher price can make one for us?

20. blaze64

blaze64 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would like to see cPanel/WHM in a working condition before they do "extras".

I am in the process of moving 225 account plus 30 "packages". However, I have to do them in sets of around 10 or else it breaks. I tried every version of WHM out there from Stable to Bleeding Edge but none of them allow for a complete solution.

The above is just one of several things I could list.

As I have said many times, people do not realize they are actually paying a monthly fee for cPanel. Some data centers roll the price into their servers so you don't really notice the fees.

What would your customers do if your service was "hit and miss"? Mine would leave....

Anyway, I would just like to see bugs fixed before I see demos in WHM. :rolleyes: