The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folder password protection help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Renek007, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Renek007

Renek007 Registered

I would like to have a folder accessible by password only.

I put a file named photo in my public HTML folder. When I enter the domain name in my browser, I get to files that show up.

-Photo folder
    -CGI bin

Then I put a password protection on the photo folder, entered the domain name in my browser, and the only file that shows up is the

-CGI bin

How do I get the photo folder to show up and have a password requirement
    for people that click on it.

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way..

Rene

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your host should be able to help you out with this.

Short of that you might want to add some sort of page to the public_html directory. You can create a very simple page using only notepad if that's all you have. Open notepad, type in something like Coming Soon and save the file naming it index.html upload that to the public_html directory. Now when you visit your domain name you will not see that cgi-bin.

If you have a directory named Photo folder, insdie your public_html directory, and you've placed a pasword on it correctly and it's not working right, you might try removing that password, renaming that directory to photofolder (removed the space) and reset the password via your cPanel once again.

Now try to access the URL yourdomain.com/photofolder/ and you should be prompted for a password as you want, to have access to that directory.

GL