The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For cPanel not to use exim or redirect everything to a 2 server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by prixone, Jul 31, 2007.

1. prixone

prixone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hi,

i was wondering if there is a way to shutdown exim from the server and allow it to send e-mails only to root or redirect all the emails direct to another mailserver without use of the exim or close to it ?

the reason is that i am making a new server just for mail and i would like to force every domain to use smtp to send mails and leave just the local service able to send mail in this specific server.

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks for the reply.

actually what i was thinking of is to make a new server with exim and some others features with the API we are developing we will try to implement it into cPanel user interface where the user will be able to create and control it is domain e-mails just like if u put modern bill or anyother device :)

What i would love to know is the ways to go trhu disable all the users from being able to create emails or a way to just null all emails and delivery only root something like that...

with the templates we have at the DNS function we can easly change the MX...

4. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is easy to stop clients from creating email accounts, just use the feature manager, and disable all the email controls, and they will disappear from the cpanel page.

5. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    yes that is one step...

but it will still over there running, how could i erase all teh mails created and leave just root receiving and sending emails ?

is there any extra configuration to assure that only root is sending mails ?

also i will be blocking the incoming and outgoing on mail ports when everything is done.

6. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can not delete the main email for each account, just don't use them, and when you block the ports like you said, that will take care of it. What ports will you block? Keep in mind that php scripts need to be able to send email. Also, each account will want to send mail for various things: low bandwidth, low diskspace, password reminder, new account created, etc.

7. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i will block 110,25 and the ssl ports refering to mail services.

i might have to leave open outgoing to let scripts and codes send e-mails to the smtp that will handle it right ?

A) server 1 has cPanel with exim blocked to do anything then local.
    B) server 2 has mysql5 and mailserver where it will manage any mail accounts also send mail for any domain hosted on server 1
    C) each and every user will have to use smtp connection in order to send mails, any local attempt of sending mails will result as non delivery mails.

#7 prixone, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  8. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am definitely glad I am not one of your customers! I would be finding a new host...

This will break many php programs that send out mail or notifications of any kind.

The php scripts using "mail()" will be trying to send mail with the local mailserver. If you want it to use smtp, the php script would have to be rewritten using PEAR:mail.

How many customers are in this situation that you will have to explain why their scripts don't work anymore?

If anyone tries to use the password recovery in cpanel, it won't be able to send mail.

Same with the new account notification, bandwidth and diskspace notifications. These things are not going to want to use smtp.

Why not use your separate mail server for sending and receiving regular email, but continue to allow your first server to send mail as well?

9. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well i can make an alias of all the main local e-mails to the e-mails on the 2nd server and just setup a relay.

regarding the codes, 100% of my users already use smtp as default as we do not allow mails to be sent without authentication to the smtp server.

by the way thanks for showing up with problems that can happen and to reply me this is being very learnfull

10. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The best way to know what works at this point is to just try it and see what happens! Keep us updated!

11. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    will do thanks :)