The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those running MailScanner - Important Information

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by chirpy, Nov 2, 2004.

1. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel have recently started shipping exim with a new configuration directive set. This directive (split_spool_directory) enables split directories spools in the exim incoming directory. This can help with performance issues on high load mail servers. What it also does is completely break MailScanner :rolleyes:

I have made modifications to my scripts to modify existing MailScanner configurations to cater for this change. You should visit the script page at:
    http://www.webumake.com/free/mailscanner.htm

You should follow the instructions after:

New Additional Instructions (2nd Nov 2004)

The new script is also required because cPanel haven't bothered updating the cPanel Pro installation to take into account MailScanner installations.

Let me know if anything doesn't work or isn't clear.

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for the info Jonathan. I'm not totalled surprised by this. cPanel seems to care less what happens to customizations or third party apps. (let the flame begin)

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It really is frustrating, but there you go - 3 hours of work to get everything going again and to cater for those with and without this new directive. My heart initially sunk when I thought that MailScanner would be a no go until I sorted it out.

I'm sure cPanel will come back with the fact that they don't support 3rd party add-ons, etc. Which is fair enough. It's just a pain when they did support it and Nick did say that they would continue to keep the scripts and that hasn't really happened with cPanel Pro.

4. sHORTYWZ

sHORTYWZ Well-Known Member

Ran your script chirpy and it looks like my mail still isn't being processed.. tons of emails sitting on their respective directories in the queue directory. Any ideas?

5. sHORTYWZ

Alright, made the changes and then ran the upgrade and now mailscanner is asking for a newer version of the Mail::ClamAV module.. trying to upgrade it via "/scripts/perlinstaller Mail::ClamAV" doesn't work - getting errors..

Code:
      Starting "make" Stage
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13/_Inline/build/Mail/ClamAV'
    /usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/typemap   ClamAV.xs > ClamAV.xsc && mv ClamAV.xsc ClamAV.c
    gcc -c  -I/home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13 -I/usr/local/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686   -DVERSION=\"0.13\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.13\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE"   ClamAV.c
    ClamAV.xs: In function `clamav_perl_constant':
    ClamAV.xs:324: `CL_EFORMAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:324: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    ClamAV.xs:324: for each function it appears in.)
    ClamAV.xs:326: `CL_SCAN_RAW' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:327: `CL_SCAN_ARCHIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:328: `CL_SCAN_MAIL' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:329: `CL_SCAN_DISABLERAR' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:330: `CL_SCAN_OLE2' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:331: `CL_SCAN_BLOCKENCRYPTED' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:332: `CL_SCAN_HTML' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:333: `CL_SCAN_PE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:334: `CL_SCAN_BLOCKBROKEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:335: `CL_SCAN_MAILURL' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:336: `CL_SCAN_BLOCKMAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ClamAV.xs:338: `CL_SCAN_STDOPT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[1]: *** [ClamAV.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13/_Inline/build/Mail/ClamAV'

A problem was encountered while attempting to compile and install your Inline
    C code. The command that failed was:
      make

The build directory was:
    /home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13/_Inline/build/Mail/ClamAV

To debug the problem, cd to the build directory, and inspect the output files.

at /home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13/blib/lib/Mail/ClamAV.pm line 190
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/.cpan/build/Mail-ClamAV-0.13/blib/lib/Mail/ClamAV.pm line 529.
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
    make: *** [ClamAV.inl] Error 2
      /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
    Running make install
      make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
    perlmod--Install done

Help!

6. sHORTYWZ

Alrighty then.. I think I got it.. had to upgrade clamav to .80 which allowed the new connector to install which finally fixed everything, I think. =)

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just coming in to help and see you've sorted it ;) Yes, the problem is that the latest MailScanner when using clamavmodule must use Mail::ClamAV v0.13 and ClamAV .80, as you discovered.

8. puzz1ed1

puzz1ed1 Active Member

thanks Jonathan

I also found that clam needed updating, which took a fair bit of time to sort out, but the mailscanner updates worked seemlessly as ever :)

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'll put a note on the website to warn people that they do need to upgrade ClamAV and Mail::ClamAV if they are using it.

10. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Chirpy,

I spent a few hours last night figureing out what broke and coming up with a manual bandaid on the one server I upgraded. I logged on to your site today and saw your script. I suspected you would have one. :cool:

I did have to modify mscheck.txt, though. I suspect you copied code from the installer. I had to change two lines to get it to modify an existing MailScanner.conf file properly.
    Code:
    open (IN, "</usr/mailscanner.new/etc/MailScanner.conf");

open (OUT, ">/usr/mailscanner.new/etc/MailScanner.conf");
    I needed to take the .new out of the directory path to get it to modify the live one.

Once I did that and made the postupcp file, it all worked like a dream. :)

Thank you once again for your great service to the Cpanel/MailScanner community. :D

11. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Your script does not work for those of us using the REAL MAILSCANNER from the MailScanner website. The simple solution is just to turn off split directories in exim.conf. Problem solved! Then all you have to do is write a bash script that will update the Split Directories from YES to NO evertime upcp runs. Thats all!

Sorry to see you are running that hopeless, non support mailscanner modification from Cpanels website. :rolleyes:

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Will you ever grow up? :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with either approach, both are documented on the MailScanner site as viable, so neither is "REAL".

Anyway, I posted the solution for those running other forms of MailScanner installation on the other thread that you opened.

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

For those that do use it, I've just released a new mscheck.pl which fixes a flaw in the way it works.

14. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Sorry, but we can't exactly test every third party app every time we make a change. This change was done to solve some performance problems.

15. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

What would you like us to update ?

16. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

If you want to turn off split_spool..... just use the exim config editor and add the

split_spool_directory = no

to the top box in the advanced exim config editor, and it will be retained between versions.

http://koston.org/exim1.jpg

Flames and trolling are not appricated.

17. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nick - No-one said to test every third party app nor is it expected (I don't think), but when there are basically two main 3rdparty apps that are very well known to cPanel and are used by a large majority of the cPanel community, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to give a "heads up" to them ahead of time. Especially when you know it is something that you can almost guarantee is going to cause issues (changing directory structures for example).

You said the change was made to fix a performance problem, well in some cases that fix caused downtime because people had to spend time to figure out what exactly changed, because the change was not even mentioned in the change logs.

If the "major" 3rd parties cannot get a heads up of changes coming, then I think cPanel should at least make the effort to have the change log reflect changes properly and more accurately.

If this particular one was listed in the change log stating what was changed, (split spool directory, changed in exim.conf) than there probably would not have been as many issues and things would have been corrected faster for some things. Also if it has a line like (if having issues, changes exim.conf split_spool to NO) people could have reverted back until an issue was figured out or resolved.

Anyway that's my personal take on things, in summary, I feel cPanel needs to stop thinking like developers when doing certain things and start thinking like the average customer and ensure that the change logs reflect things in a manor that can be understood by non-developers and truely reflect what has changed.

18. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Likewise, we are in need a of a developer to work with third parties to make sure things continue to work. http://www.cpanel.net/jobs/ .. something we have been hiring for (for a while now)

19. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  20. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Wrong country here too ;) Now, if you allowed remote working... :)

Nick, I'm not that upset about the split directories - it's a good move, but would have been nice to have some forewarning.

I'm more upset about the fact that cPanel Pro hasn't been fixed for so long, despite having a bugzilla entry for it open and cPanelBilly asking about it and being told:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1336
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1338

Hope someone can get to them soon so we don't have to run a postupcp job everytime.