The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

force lookups for local deliveries?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by babakb, Mar 24, 2007.

1. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Is there any way to force exim to perform host lookups for local users e-mailing other local users? Here's the scenario which is causing my customer serious problems..

I'm migrating my customer accounts into a cPanel server (from non-cPanel server). For this, I created 350 blank accounts and changed the 'A record' for each domain to point to the dedicated IP's on the old servers. I'm now gradually moving customers over and after each move, changing the 'A record' back to point to the cPanel server IP. The problem I'm facing now is that those customers that have been moved over e-mail their friends and relatives and their e-mails end up in the blank accounts on the same server because Exim doesn't lookup the proper destination. Instead of delivering the e-mail to the account on the old servers (since the A record points there), it places them into the mailbox of the new (blank) accounts on cPanel server.

I need to force exim to not treat local domains as local domains so the mail gets delivered to where it's supposed to go.

Something to edit in the exim config file?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

While the destination domain is on the old server you should remove it from /etc/localdomains on the new server and add it is /etc/remotedomains (create the file if need be). Once you move the domain from the old to the new server, reverse the process.

3. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Jonathan,
    Yes, that worked beautifully. Thank you.