The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Format for Blocking Email in BoxTrapper

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by neil154, Oct 26, 2013.

1. neil154

neil154 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It appears to me that if I want to block email address "abc@def.com" then I add to BoxTrapper on its own line

from abc@def.com

But if someone can tell me the formatting options to block emails with wild cards I would appreciate it.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

After clicking on the BoxTrapper option in cPanel, browse to the "Edit Blacklist" feature. Per it's instructions:

The list should contain one entry per line. Each entry should be formatted as a Perl regular expression.
    For example: john@example.com would be john\@example\.com and all addresses at example.com would be .+\@example\.com

Thank you.

3. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the response, I am not familiar with Perl so that would be helpful.

If the is a domain of @sampletest.com and I wanted to block everything that included part of that domain like I wanted to block anything that had as part of its domain "test.com" how would I structure that?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks, is there a way that I am suppose to show the post has been answered and then close it out?

6. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I just took a look at the actual blocked emails in my blacklist which were added by BoxTrapper (not me manually) and instead of having "from .+\@test\.com" it has "from @test\.com

So is the ".+\" required because it is not being added by BoxTrapper. I would appreciate your explanation.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I could not reproduce this behavior using the "Edit Blacklist" option in the BoxTrapper interface. Could you let us know which version of cPanel is installed on your system?

Thank you.

8. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have my domain with InMotionHosting.com and I am not sure how to tell what version of cPanel I have but I see something which says "cpanel11" on the screen so if that is not what you are looking for please tell mehow to look up the version. Below is a copy of my blacklist from BoxTrapper if it is helpful (A very few of them I manually added) and the very last one was just added 5 minutes ago by BoxTrapper

#8 neil154, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I removed the list you posted because it's not necessary for this thread. I reccomend consulting with your web hosting provider if you experience issues with your black list. They will be able to check the Exim logs to verify if BoxTrapper is blocking the address. Note that the existing entry should work as expected.

Thank you.

10. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    InMotionHosting has not been very helpful on specific problems in the past. They have always told me that the system is not perefect and sometimes things get past.

For this specific issue on the format of the blacklist both you and InMotionHosting have provided the same info but yet the blacklist is not consistent with the format so I would like you to advise.

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Open the cPanel main page, and on the left statistics menu, scroll down until you see "cPanel Version". Let us know what version is installed. Note that we are limited in the troubleshooting steps that we can provide because you do not have root access to this system.

Thank you.

12. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    cPanel Version 11.34.2 (build 8)

I understand that you have limits and I will try to understand and in this case the format of a blocked email should be something that someone would think is easily resolved.

13. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't see a problem with how BoxTrapper formatted the email address you entered. Is it not functioning as you expected?

Thank you.

14. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have some issues with BoxTrapper as you can see from my other posts but I don't believe that the issues have to do with BoxTrapper not blacklisting emails. It just seemed to me that everyone is giving me information about the format of the blacklist and it does not appear to coincide with what is actually in the list.

I guess at this point if you don't have a reason for it and do not have the problem with the format, I guess we can consider this a closed issue.

15. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Please tell me the format if I would like to block every email that ends in ".in" or ".eu"

16. neil154

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks, I am not familiar with Regex but if I understand correctly that if I put "from \.eu(\>)?$" (without the quotes) into my blacklist it should block all email that ends in .eu (my email host who os absolutely no help requires the "from " in front of all blacklists