The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formmail nobody@

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by latpanel, Jul 7, 2005.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

I use forms to mail in several pages hosted in my server, the forms use formmail.cgi
    Some days ago I've began to receive emails from those forms sent by nobody@host.myserver.com

The body begins with the word POSTDATA, and all the fields are filled with readable text and %xx codes.

I have enabled suexec and I configured WHM to avoid nobody sending emails, but these solutions doesn`t function.

The next solution I aplied was config a blacklist in SpamAsassin and an email filter to discard this messages.
    But I wonder if this spammer could use my formmail to send spam, and I would like to know if this is a hole in formmail, and how to fix it.

Any help?

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I am not sure what version are you using, but in general, Formmail is one of the most insecure scripts. You'll have to get a different, more secure, formmail script. Better yet, use a completely different script.

3. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

I use formmail that is in CPanel, the FormMail Version 3.12c1. I thought it was secure, but perhaps I need to change my mind about it

Thanks