Forward all vs default email

derekseabrooke

Registered
Jun 24, 2020
Toronto
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a forward setup in the forward section of the cPanel to forward all of the emails from my default email address. I have noticed that when I get emails from an address that is not an exact match for any of the addresses it goes to the default account as expected, but this message does not forward. In the forwarding section, there is a way to forward all emails for a domain, but I don't want emails to forward if they are caught by another specific address other than the default. Does this make sense? If so, do you have any suggestions?

ZenHostingTravis

PartnerNOC
May 22, 2020
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, what you wrote makes sense.

To put it succinctly, emails aren't being forwarded when the email account doesn't exist.

Could you show us a screenshot from the Default Address section of cPanel?

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

cPJustinD

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2021
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello ! By default, email accounts that do not exist wouldn't be forwarded except to the default address; however, as quietFinn mentioned, you can manually specify a non-existent email to forward.

However, it sounds like you instead may want to use a Domain Forwarder.

Note:
  • Domain forwarders only forward email when the system cannot deliver it to an address or autoresponder. For example, if you create a domain forwarder from the example.com domain to the example1.com domain and someone sends an email to the [email protected] address, the following actions will occur:
  • Domain forwarders override the settings in cPanel’s Default Address interface (cPanel >> Home >> Email >> Default Address).
  • The domain does not retain a copy of domain forwarded mail.
I hope that this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

ZenHostingTravis

PartnerNOC
May 22, 2020
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator