The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.forward files assistance please :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tabernack, Dec 8, 2001.

1. tabernack

tabernack Well-Known Member

I was successful at placing a .forward file in my /root/ directory to forward root\'s email to a specific address.

What I need to know is how I can make sure that email sent to nobody@host.domain.com and other system wide usernames is also delivered to a specific address. I tried placing a .forward file in the root partition ( / ) and that didn\'t do it.

Let me know if any of you have figured a way to do accomplish this task.

2. tabernack

Anyone?

It\'s important that a server admin be able to receive email that is sent to nobody@host.domain.com

The way cpanel is structured, I see no way to do this. I\'ve tried adding a .forward file containing an email address to forward to, but that doesn\'t work.

If the .forward file does indeed work, please let me know it\'s content and it\'s required location.

3. teck

teck Well-Known Member

I was always wondering how to check the email that goes to /root.

4. tabernack

For email sent to root just create a .forward file in the /root directory containing the email address you wish to forward root\'s email to and that should do the trick. It works on our servers :)

Now, just need to figure out how to get nobody\'s email :)

5. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Well-Known Member

[quote:e58c89da2b]
    Now, just need to figure out how to get nobody\'s email :) [/quote:e58c89da2b]

Anybody know how to do it??

6. tabernack

It doesn\'t look like anyone knows how to perform this task unfortunately. This is one area where cpanel/whm lacks. Basic configuration of a server should allow you to specify where email for any user is sent to.

7. bdraco

bdraco Guest

Edit your exim.conf

Switch the following 2 blocks

localuser:
    driver = localuser
    transport = local_delivery

system_aliases:
    driver = aliasfile
    file = /etc/aliases
    search_type = lsearch
    # user = exim
    file_transport = address_file
    pipe_transport = address_pipe

Then

echo \"nobody: /dev/null\" >> /etc/aliases

8. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

I\'ve always been able to rig this up when the need arose- each server is different though. Sometimes I had to make a directory /mail in the root of the ENTIRE server and then tweak permissions so that exim could deliver there, and apache could dump shite there.... sometimes directory structure had to be made elsewhere.

Basically exim_mainlog will tell you how apache/exim work in tandem to deliver mail to \"nobody@YOURSERVER\" whether it functions correctly or not..... it will at least give you an error that explains which directory structure fail during the deliverance, so then you can begin to piece something together to get ahold of it.

And/or Nick just posted something that is probably about 2823 times better technically then what I mentioned.

:D