The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarded mail remaining on server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wkdwich, May 14, 2005.

1. wkdwich

wkdwich Well-Known Member

I have spent over an hour reading up here on this topic and still no solution that suits me.

Running Cpanel on Fedora with Exim & Spamassassin

main account for domain user1
    set up pop account for user1

filter set to fail with headers that scored on Spamassassin

set up several forwarders:
    alias.name@HERdomain.com -> user1@HERdomain.com
    webmaster@HERdomain.com -> me@MYdomain.com
    user1@HERdomain.com -> her.screen.name@aol.com

This process works, all mails are getting spamassassin'd - this is a very good thing and very much wanted to help keep AOL happy.

The problem here is, as most are aware, is the mails also stay in the user's account:

/home/user1/mail/HERdomain.com/POPaccount/

I became aware of this today when she sent over a copy of the pop account almost full notice.

One suggestion I read was to remove the POP account. Mail still was forwarded and there was no mail staying on the server, BUT... now the mail that was passed over to her AOL was NOT spamassassin'd.

I recreated the POP for the time being.

Another suggestion I read was to cron job clearing the POPaccount inbox nightly. While I think this will do the trick, it just seems that it's another thing that I will forget to do when setting up accounts!

Several thoughts here..

1. some kind of an add-in feature that can be enabled in WHM? that would allow a check to enable forwarding only or perhaps worded as: leave copy on server. YES/NO

2. a filter that can be set to pass forwarded mails thru spamassassin if the POPaccount was removed

3. using FILTERS instead of forwarding??
    $header_to: contains "webmaster@HERdomain.com" me@MYdomain.com
    (testing this theory now) no that didn't work:
    smtp;550-"The recipient cannot be verified.

A filter that black holes or fails all mail to the main account is not going to work, beause then no mail will go anywhere I belive, even with forwarders

I'd like to get this set and automated ASAP, does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts??

thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You've nicely pointed out the limitations of the way spamassassin works with the method cPanel have used with exim. AFAIK, there's no way round that. However, it should work with MailScanner which does scan all email forwarded or otherwise, and can act on mail scored as spam without forwarding it on to the destination.

3. wkdwich

Thanks for the quick response Chirpy.. not sure if mailscanner is the way to go either.. I have that running on my Cobalt Raq4 and it sucks the resources up.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I used to use MailScanner when we had RaQ2's 3's and then 4's without too much problem - but they're usually much lower powered (300Mhz/450Mhz CPUs) than modern servers.

Sorry that I don't have any other ideas.

5. wkdwich

what about a proc mail recipie?? do these boxes run proc?? I never could get it right on the Cobalt.. someone once suggest a milter (??) but that wouldn;t run with.. humm.. I think it was mailscanner or it could have been just a Cobalt issue

I may have to go with the cron option.. wonder if it can be written to look for:

/home/[xxx]/mail/[xxx].[xxx]/inbox (I may have the path wrong I am so tired.. but I am sure you get my drift.. that way I would not have to go in there and add each user that would need it..

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member