The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarder disappearing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by TLinger, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TLinger

TLinger Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello cPanel forum,

All email forwarders that I set up that are forwarded to one specific email account magically disappear after about an hour. It works fine for about an hour and then vanishes. All of the other forwarders that I have set up are working fine. The only two unique things about this email address compared to the others is that its a Hotmail account and it has a dot in the name. For example:

name.abc@hotmail.com

Only two people have access to this cPanel. Me and the server administrator who set it up for me.

What could be the cause of this? How can I fix it? The owner of the email account is getting understandably upset about this.

Thank you in advance for your time

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you have root access to this server, or do you purchase hosting from a web hosting provider? Please report this issue to your web hosting provider if you don't have root access. Otherwise, review /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log to see if anyone else is accessing cPanel and deleting the forwarders.

Thank you.

3. TLinger

TLinger Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Good morning. Thank you for the response.

I don't have root access to this server as far as I know, we are purchasing it from a web hosting provider. I reported it and they said that it is being deleted because forwarders can't forward email to an external email address. But I don't think this is the case as I have other forwarders being forwarded to external email addresses and those are working fine. It is only this one that keeps getting deleted.

I can't see the logs, but I am confident that they are not being deleted by anyone. Who would sit in cPanel watching 24 hours per day just to delete a single forwarder every time it pops up? Do you have any other ideas on what might be causing this?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's possible the hosting provider has developed a custom script that removes forwarders to specific domain names. You may want to ask them for additional details if they have already told you the removal is intentional.

Thank you.

TLinger likes this.
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Forwarding email to hotmail, gmail and other free services is generally a bad idea, IMHO. Email is not scanned when forwarded, it's just forwarded. This can get an IP into trouble with hotmail, gmail and other free email services.

6. TLinger

TLinger Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the responses! I asked for additional details yesterday morning. Now I am just waiting for them to get back to me. I will post the results here for anyone in the future who has the same problem.

Why would this get an IP into trouble? Scanned for what?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For instance, if you are sent SPAM, that SPAM message is automatically forwarded to those remote mail servers.

Thank you.

8. TLinger

TLinger Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    And then our IP address would be blacklisted as a source of spam. Got it. Thank you. Still not getting any answers from our hosting provider.

I will delete the forwarders I have being redirected to external addresses and tell our employees that we can't forward email externally.