The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarders and spam scanning - no solution yet?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by stormy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. stormy

stormy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to bring up a long-standing issue (there's tons of threads), just to see if there's any progress, and maybe if there's a feature request that we could all vote on.

Quick summary of the problem:

If an email forwarder is set (and customers, for some unfathomable reason, LOVE forwarders), all inbound email is forwarded with no spam scanning at all.

All of a sudden your server is sending real, nasty spam to Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo etc. It doesn't take long for the server's reputation to be affected.

Workarounds?

-The paid Rvskin theme does have a feature to block forwarders to select domains. However, customers are not happy when they find out!

-Yes, I know I can tell customers to set up a POP account, and then check POP from Gmail, or whatever. This doesn't really work.

-Yes, I know it's crazy to want to forward your emails to Gmail after buying a hosting account under your own domain. But people do it anyway.

We need a real solution.

It's as easy as having SpamAssassin scan emails before they hit the forwarder.

I don't know if the technical details are complicated, but I think cPanel has the resources to deal with this once and for all.

It's better for everyone:

-Our server's reputation is kept intact.
    -Our server's mail queue (and load) is decreased, since it doesn't have to deal with forwarding spam.
    -Customers are happier.
    -The receiving end of the forwarders, whoever it is, is happier too.

Are there any downsides? Please enlighten me.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. stormy

stormy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #3 stormy, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. vrems

vrems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Here's a solution I found. I discovered that SpamAssassin marks the header of even forwarders. Since it whitelists an email coming from the same domain, I used this workaround rule.

Make the following filter/rule per account, or Global if you want all spam going to just one single Junk folder.

Rules

Any Header

contains

X-Spam-Status: Yes

Headers of even forwarders contain the words "X-Spam-Status: Yes" so they will get marked, even if an actual email account for the forwarder doesn't exist!I hope it works for you like it did for me!

5. stormy

stormy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, the feature request worked, and it's now "in progress". :)

It should be ready by early next year, if I didn't misunderstand the release calendar.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it's scheduled for cPanel version 11.48. There is no specific date available on it's release, but Q1 2015 would be the expected timeframe.

Thank you.

7. Feemish

Feemish Member

I've been wrestling with this issue.
    The feature is eagerly anticipated.

However I have discovered that if you enable a POP3 account AND a forwarder to gmail...
    with spam assassin enabled...
    AND
    within WHM you tick

Service configuration: Exim configuration manager: ACL options : SpamAssassin™ reject spam score threshold (5.5?)

(Reject mail at SMTP time if the spam score is greater than this number. (positive or negative, single digit after a decimal point allowed))

This seems to work.

The downside is that the POP3 account will fill up and need to be emptied.
    and also ticking this ACL option seems to disable spam box and all spam is just deleted.

Check it out.