The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forwarders and the retained 'local copy'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peter.darling, Feb 7, 2006.

1. peter.darling

peter.darling Member

Hello everyone. I've read that if you have a pop account in cpanel then mail will route to that inbox even if you have a forwarder set up. No biggie now that I know, but its odd because this seems to be a facet that only showed up on my server this year. If I look at the inbox of a user who has been forwarding since october 2005, the oldest message in that inbox is january 15th, 2006, despite that account never being popped. That is roughly true for every account that has a forwarder. Is there an auto-pruning mechanism that I'm not seeing? Or is this a facet of exim that comes and goes with autoupdates?

#1 peter.darling, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

make sure if you have not made an account through cpanel for teh mail id that needs to eb forwarded..

3. peter.darling

peter.darling Member

thanks for the reply david. I know how to prevent mail ending up in a forwarded account (by not having a pop account for that forwarder), that's not my question. only mail since january is in those accounts, despite them having existed (and been forwarded) for much longer.

evidence points toward:

a) there is a pruning mechanism that I am unaware of, or
    b) the retention of forwarded mail only recently started

I am just trying to learn more about this irregular forwarding process.

4. martike

martike Registered

I think I just found the answer to my question here, Peter. The pruning you speak of, or no retention of forwarded mail, is exactly what I want, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.

Now it seems that I simply have to remove the pop accounts which are there only for forwarding, but retain the forwarders, and I should get what I want. Is that right ?

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member