The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarders never reach inbox. Host blaims Cpanel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mvs, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mvs

mvs Registered

For weeks I've had problems with my email forwarders. My host blaims Cpanel. Is it possible that this is the case or are they just trying to put the blame on someone else?

Here is the whole thread:

Subject: Forwarders don't work

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 06:02 AM
    My forwarders don't work. I've tried to delete them and then set up new ones, but that doesn't help. None of them work - they should all point to xxxx@xxxx.com

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 06:24 AM
    Hello, I have run a permissions fix on the server's mail program. Can you please readd these forwarders now? Thanks.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 06:29 AM
    No, it doesn't work.

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 06:37 AM
    Hello, I will have one of our administrators further investigate this for you. Thank you for your patience. Regards.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 06:40 AM
    This keeps happening - see ticket QIB-94258. Last time this happened you said it wouldn't happen again!

How do we prevent this from happening in the future?

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 07:37 AM
    Could you please ask them to look at it now. Haven't been able to receive any emails for several hours now.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 08:22 AM
    Please it's taken a VERY long time now! I cannot afford having an email service that doesn't work for hours!

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 09:22 AM
    Hello, The valiases file was missing. Please add your forwarders in your cpanel. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 10:38 AM
    Still not working. This is driving me absolutely mad!

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 11:28 AM
    Hello, This is now working. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 11:47 AM
    Ok.

What about my question?

How do we prevent this from happening in the future?

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 07 Oct 2005 12:43 PM
    I am not sure how this could of happened. It could have been an issue with the latest cpanel upgrade.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 02:54 AM
    Again it's not working - or it's taking a very very long time for the emails to be delivered. I sent four emails about 2 hours ago and they still haven't reached their destination!

You will now have to put our accounts on a server without these kind of problems that you've had for the last 2 months. I have posted more than 20 tickets in the last 6 weeks and I am tired of dealing with all these issues that you are having. You will now have to deal with ALL these problems once and for all. ONCE AND FOR ALL!

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 03:01 AM
    Again it's not working - or it's taking a very very long time for the emails to be delivered. I sent four emails about 2 hours ago and they still haven't reached their destination!

You will now have to put our accounts on a more reliable server without these kind of problems that you've had for the last 2 months. I have posted more than 20 tickets in the last 6 weeks and I am tired of all these issues. You will now have to deal with ALL these problems once and for all. ONCE AND FOR ALL!

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 04:55 AM
    It's been more than 5 hours now since I sent those 4 emails and still they haven't reached my inbox!

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 06:20 AM
    Hello , Thank you for your Email. I am forwarding this ticket back to technical team. They will investigate this and respond shortly. Please standby.

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 07:10 AM
    Hello, Please try this once more. Regards.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 09:01 AM
    Hello,

It seems to work now. This is the fourth time that I've had to contact you due to problems with my email accounts. Once you deleted all my forwarders because of a hardware failure (see ticket QIB-94258), then the valiases file was missing. Now I have a few questions.

1) What was wrong this time?

2) How do we prevent this from happening in the future?

3) Are you really taking this matter seriously? We usually get two customer orders per day - in the last 14 days we've had three! I receive very angry customer emails asking us why we aren't replying. So again, considering how many times this has happened to us now, can we really trust that you are taking this matter seriously because it certainly doesn't seem so.

4) Are all the emails from our customers lost or can you find them for us?

Please address every question that I have asked you, because I have received about 20 "Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may caused" in the last few weeks. We would just like to get some sincere answers from you.

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 09:22 AM
    1) I'm not sure, all I did was restarted the mail server. I've alerted my superiors to the issue, who will seek the cause and a permanent solution.

2) I would suggest not using forwarders for mission critical emails; not because we are incapable of fixing them, but simply because it is unwise and slow to add steps to the recipt of important communication.

3) I treat this with the same urgency that I treat all support tickets. I apologize that it 50 minutes for a response, we aim for 45.

4) It is likely that none of the emails were lost. I don't think the forwarders were actually broken; it looks like the whole mail server was down. In this case, the sending server will retry every 12 hours for a total of 48. Thus email will trickle in over the next 36 hours or so.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 10:01 AM

It's not working again - been waiting for an email for more than 1 hour
    now.

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 10:24 AM
    Hello, I'm going to restart the mail server, and move this ticket onto the admin board. It will take the admins a bit longer between replies, however it seems as if restarting the mail server is not cuting it anymore. Regards, Andrew

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 11:38 AM
    Greetings, We do take those issues seriously, but however, we do not develop those programs, Cpanel did, and sometimes by their updates or changes, it causes massive issues from time to time as I have seen. I am not exactly pleased with it on ocassions and I happens to know one of those people personally from work association in the past. However, those changes or updates are not exactly in our control, and I make several modifications to correct their shortcomings or issues that they released to the server. We are not the only people that faces those issues, since if you look at hte forums.cpanel.net, you can see other people having gripes about various issues that comes up from time to time.

-------------------
    (customer)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 12:32 PM
    Hello,

1) When was your last Cpanel update?

2) What version are you running on your servers?

3) I checked the Cpanel forum and I read that these problems can occur if the domain entry from the /etc/localdomains on the old server is not removed. As I understand you have recently changed servers due to the problems you've experienced in the last two months. Has my domain entry been removed from the old server?

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 08 Oct 2005 12:44 PM
    Greetings, The localdomains part is sort of inrelevent to the issues you have, since, it is only for exim configuration for determing if it is local or not. The real way that emails get decided on routing is by MX entries in the DNS System, which determines where the emails are being routed to. As for the version, it is currently Release version as it is, and it is not going to be updated for a while, since there is new issue out with the IMAP conversion, which in someway from what I have read is not exactly smooth so far.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, out of all that, this:

Is factually incorrect. You should not suffer any issues with using forwarders at all. If you do, then there are server configuration issues that your web host should deal with and from your posted experience this is not happening for you. Certainly items 2 and 4 are simply wrong.

The way email works on a cPanel server is a little intricate, but by no means beyond the ability of a good server admin.

Whatever the issue, if you're not happy with the support that you get from your web hosting provider, there are plenty more providers out there which you can try and from whom you can get excellent support and I would recommend using your discretion and looking for one of those.

3. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

This type of response, IMO, is LAME!

Just as you have the right to choose your host provider, your host provider has the right to choose/develop any GUI interface they desire for their end users. IOW, nobody forced them to choose cpanel, but it is quite convenient to blame cpanel for their inability to properly manage their business.

As well, your host provider does have the ability to disable automatic updates to their cpanel boxes and can certainly evaluate/monitor any issues as to how a new cpanel release may effect their equipment prior to implementing on a production server.

I wish you luck in resolving your issues.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I would like to point out that when you do rely on outside address forwarders that it does in fact throw one more possible failure in your communication loop. In general I would much rather see customers use locally delivered mail as a true and trusted source. If for no other reason then just easier to track when there is a problem. If an external email address server is down there is nothing a cPanel based server can do to make that other server take the email. It will sit in queue until delivered or gets deleted for too many tries. It's hard to say what really happened in your case. If the other mail server was at fault the host could have provided you with exim logs to show what was happening. In my case when I get issues like this it has almost alwasy been evident that my mail server delivered with no problems to the third party email service only to be marked as spam on the other end or simply misplaced with a message rule. In one case the email server was down on the other end. It is also possible for a valiases file to get screwed up ..but your host should see that in 3 seconds and be able to fix that. My advise however is to deliver at least one copy of all your important mail directly on the local box that your domain is hosted on so in the event of a problem outside ..you have a backup locally. This however does not prevent the host from screwing up email in general in the first place ..even locally destined emails.

#4 rpmws, Oct 9, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  5. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

If email is so critical for you, you can change to another webhost. Nowadays, webhosting is very competitive. I am sure you can find a better webhost easily but the problem is the transfer. If you don't mind going through the transfer pain, go ahead.

6. mvs

mvs Registered

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it!

I fully agree with you bamasbest. As it turned out, Cpanel wasn't to blame. Here is what it what eventually resolved the issue:

-------------------
    (staff)

Posted on 09 Oct 2005 04:30 AM
    Hello,

I have repaired the problem. It was an issue with your SPF record. gmail requires them and your spf record was not correct. It should have been "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all" you had something else entered.

The mail should now be sending properly.

Please feel free to let us know if you are still having problems.

Regards
    -------------------

Good point rpmws, I will definitely do that.
    _