The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by czerdrill, May 1, 2012.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway. If I set up an email forwarder, does the actual email box have to exist for the forwarding to work? For example, let's say I want all email sent to info@domain.com to be forwarded to mypersonalemail@gmail.com. Do I first have to set up the info@domain.com email address in cPanel, or can I just set the forwarder up, so that anytime someone emails info@domain.com, the server realizes that those emails should be forwarded? Thanks in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You do not have to create an email account in order to create a forwarder. You can create a forwarder on it's own. If you create a cPanel email account whose mail is being forwarded, then both accounts will receive mail.

Thank you.

3. czerdrill

czerdrill Well-Known Member

Hmmm...doesn't seem to be working. I set up a forwarder, but emails sent to the email don't forward. In fact, I don't even get back a bounced email. It's like nothing happens, so not sure where they are going. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was emailing the test from the email address that I forwarded to and Gmail dropped it. Tried from another account and it worked fine. Thanks again, Michael!

#3 czerdrill, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One thing to keep in mind with forwarders...

If you set up a forwarder-only, then there is no spam filtering on the incoming mail that is to get forwarded.

If you set up a forward for an address that already exists as a mailbox on the server, the mail will be spam filtered before being forwarded.

So if you're setting up a forward to one of the many super-anal companies such as AOL, Hotmail, or Yahoo, you might want to set up an email account on the server and then forward the mail, so that you will be forwarding less / little spam.

The downside -- the mailbox is going to fill up with mail because there is nobody checking it [since it's being forwarded to the account they do check].

It's a bummer, but that's how she works.

Mike