The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarding bounced emails from the default account.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Michael Hawke, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael Hawke

Michael Hawke Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    SiteGround says this is not possible so I thought I would ask here. We have a registration form on our website that sends a 'validation' email out to new registrants with a link they must click to validate their email address. Sometimes (depressingly often), people have a typo in their email address and these validation emails bounce back to our default system account. I need these emails to be forwarded to an outside email address so our website administrators can act to remedy the situation. At SiteGround's suggestion, I set up some filters on the default account which successfully trap these bounced emails. If I set the filter up so it 'Redirects to Email' then these bounced emails no longer show up in my default account AND no redirection takes place. If I set up the filter with 'Redirect to folder' and choose another local email address (previously set up in cPanel with forwarding instructions) then these bounced emails do get 'moved' into that account BUT are still not forwarded out. There seems to be no way to get these bounced emails forwarded. I don't want the website administrators to be messing around on the server's cPanel to try to find out if some member's validation email bounced back. Any help would be appreciated. It's shared hosting so I don't have command line access to anything.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know what's configured under the "Default Address" option in cPanel for this domain name? Also, is the script using SMTP authentication to send email?

Thank you.

3. Michael Hawke

Michael Hawke Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm not an expert in the ways of the cPanel so forgive me but when SiteGround creates an account, the username for the account becomes the default email address for the system. Where would I find 'what's configured' for this account? Yes, the system is using the basic mail functions. I am not using any outside mail service like SendGrid.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may need to contact your provider and ask about the "Default Address" feature if it's not visible in cPanel, or if the account is assigned a custom theme. Documentation on this option is available at:

Default Address - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

5. Michael Hawke

Michael Hawke Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It's working now. Not sure what they did but it's resolved. Thanks for your efforts.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator