The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarding email from a parked domain to the correct primary domain POP account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spaceman, Sep 19, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

When I park a domain over another domain (I'll call it the 'primary' domain), emails sent to the parked domain should automatically map to the appropriate POP account of the primary domain.

bob@parkeddomain.com => bob@domain.com

Or more generally, the parked domain should inherit all the mail settings of the primary domain, ie. forwarders, filters, etc.

Yes, I'm sure I can do some funky command line editing of some server files to make this happen (which may or may not get reset with the next automatic cpanel/whm/ensim upgrade), but I'm talking about Cpanel/WHM USABILITY here (one of my favourite topics as a web developer).

This is what people expect to happen (not unreasonably) by default.

'Nuff said.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 spaceman, Sep 19, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  2. TCSLEA

TCSLEA Active Member

Did you ever get this working the way you want?

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Nope :). I'm hoping that in due course this feature will be integrated into WHM/cPanel. Not holding my breath though!

4. gemininetcom

gemininetcom Active Member

5. TCSLEA

TCSLEA Active Member

reason it doesn't work the old way

According to an email from cPanel tech support, cPanel USED to cause parked domains to inherit the properties (so-to-speak) of the main domain, so that email incorrectly sent to user@parkeddomain would automagically be sent to user@maindomain.

Apparently the majority of the cPanel users saw this as a bug, not a feature, and it was recently changed. Now each parked domain email account is separate from matching email accounts on the main domain. This means that user@parkeddomain is an entirely different email account than user@maindomain (ie: bob@cpanel.com is not the same as bob@cpanel.net or bob@cpanel.org)

There IS a way to make several file changes to get it back to the old way...

My solution was to create an email autoresponder that sent notice that they were using the wrong domain, and told them what the correct domain was. I then made the autoresponder the default (aka catchall) email address for that parked domain.

6. tcwebguy

tcwebguy Active Member

Code changes...

Anyone know what those changes are that would allow that? Can you make the changes on a per-domain basis?

7. TCSLEA

TCSLEA Active Member

changes

Here is the relevant excerpt from the email I got from tech support, which may be of some help:

Chris