The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarding email to /dev/null, but it still goes to catch-all

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dotancohen, Aug 18, 2007.

1. dotancohen

dotancohen Member

As some spammer is sending email with a From address at my domain, I have been receiving thousands of bounced emails. Some of the more popular addresses I have sent to /dev/null via forwarders. However, mail to these addresses still gets received in my catch-all. Why? How do I fix that?

Note that I've tried E-mail Filtering as well, but it does not work. If I configure, for instance, "$header_to: is someAddress@example.com" then mail delivered to "Some Person <someAddress@example.com>" gets through. And using "$message_headers contains someAddress@example.com" does not work for addresses that are part of addresses that I need to keep. For instance, I cannot trap "otan@example.com" while keeping "dotan@example.com". And otan@example.com gets a _lot_ of spam.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Rather than using /dev/null try setting up a forwarder for the email address and pointing it to :fail: - the email should then not be received by the server at all.

3. dotancohen

dotancohen Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

4. dotancohen

dotancohen Member

Thank you, it the :fail: option effectively blocks the addresses. It has been several days and no messages have gotten through.