sifos

Registered
Aug 31, 2018
Eesti
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi
a year ago the only supported option for forwarding an outgoing e-mail was making copies of outgoing email is through the Archive option in cPanel. Is this still true or has there been any changes? It would be greatly appreciated if the outgoing e-mails would be as easily forwarded as incoming. Then the business owners would in control of the mail that actually move in and out of their business...

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @sifos,

The cPanel >> Archive feature is currently the only supported method to preserve copies of outgoing email. We do have an existing feature request you can vote for and add comments to at:

Archiving outgoing mail

Thank you.

sifos

Registered
Aug 31, 2018
Eesti
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
how does archiving work in real life? Does it create an archive account where it archives all user mails or does it create an archive folder under each user accounts inbox?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
how does archiving work in real life? Does it create an archive account where it archives all user mails or does it create an archive folder under each user accounts inbox?
Hello @sifos,

Email is archived on a per-domain basis. The system stores the archived messages in the mail directory in the user's home directory. Each day, the system generates a new directory with the archivetype.YYYY-MM-DD format that contains all of the specified archive type's messages.

Thank you.

sifos

Registered
Aug 31, 2018
Eesti
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello @sifos,

Email is archived on a per-domain basis. The system stores the archived messages in the mail directory in the user's home directory. Each day, the system generates a new directory with the archivetype.YYYY-MM-DD format that contains all of the specified archive type's messages.

Thank you.
Hello @cPanelMichael,

My service provider enabled the archive option. It also creates a read-only archive user to where it forwards all incoming and outgoing e-mails. I can access this user via webmail. I don't mind that it creates a folder for each day. When accessing the archive via webmail I need to go to settings-folders and tick the newly created archive folders for them to be visible under mailbox. Is there a way to automate this so I wouldn't have to manually do it every morning?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @sifos,

I've confirmed the same behavior when using Roundcube (the "incoming" and "outgoing" subfolders are not automatically subscribed to). I've created a feature request on your behalf for an option to automatically subscribe to these new folders when logging in via Webmail with the archive user:

Automatically subscribe archive user to new IMAP folders

I encourage you to vote and add any additional feedback to the request.

Thank you.

sifos

Registered
Aug 31, 2018
Eesti
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks @cPanelMichael

For making the archive manageable we use mailstore.com I have set it up to pull the mails from that archive mailbox. As it turns out MailStore shows mails that I sent just 5 minutes ago. Though cpanel archive specs says that I should see them on the next day. I like it. I hope it is something that is built in and never gets changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cPanelMichael